The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Using a quarter sheet/rug for warm ups? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/using-quarter-sheet-rug-warm-ups-102546/)

With Grace 11-05-2011 04:16 PM

Using a quarter sheet/rug for warm ups?

I'm riding early mornings and cold dark evenings and the arena is cold - 38 degrees this morning. I'm nice and toasty warm, but its taking my mare quite a bit of time to warm up and I can tell she's pretty cold while warming up. This morning I felt guilty taking her out of the stall and removing her blanket. I live in the pacific northwest, where all winter it will be damp and cold and up here in the mountains we do get snow. I'm considering getting a fleece quarter sheet/ exercise rug for her during our warm ups, but havent seen any one at the barn using them.

Anyone use them and can comment on if this might be a good idea for us while warming up?

TIA!

I'm looking at this one:
Rider's International Fleece Exercise Rug < Exercise Rugs < Horse Blankets & Sheets|Dover Saddlery.

With Grace 11-06-2011 10:26 AM

No one?

HorseTrance 11-06-2011 10:38 AM

Sure!

If it was me and I could tell my horse wanted/needed a blanket for exercising in, I'd get it regardless if the other people in the barn had it or not.

Thia 11-06-2011 02:31 PM

Not to hijack your thread, but can they be used if you are riding in a western saddle? I've always wanted to get one, but never have. As I have recently switched from English to Western I don't want to go get one, then find out I can't use it. :D

gypsygirl 11-06-2011 03:06 PM

i just use a fleece blanket as a quarter sheet. it works great. i just put it between my saddle and my saddle pad. my horse too gets cold after the blanket comes off and before shes properly warmed up.

With Grace 11-06-2011 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thia (Post 1224269)
Not to hijack your thread, but can they be used if you are riding in a western saddle? I've always wanted to get one, but never have. As I have recently switched from English to Western I don't want to go get one, then find out I can't use it. :D

Yep! There are some that can go under the saddle as well, so wouldnt matter what type of saddle it is, and some that just tuck in to the back of the saddle...I rode this morning and am more convinced we need one - it was freezing and the arena was so damp, I could tell that she was chilly.

With Grace 11-06-2011 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gypsygirl (Post 1224289)
i just use a fleece blanket as a quarter sheet. it works great. i just put it between my saddle and my saddle pad. my horse too gets cold after the blanket comes off and before shes properly warmed up.

Thats a great idea! I like the sheet on Dover since it would keep my legs warm too (though I wear fleece lined breeches, I was still cold this morning!) All the fleece blankets in my house end up being taken over by my dog:-)

Thia 11-06-2011 05:19 PM

Cool! Thanx! :D

Shasta1981 11-06-2011 10:52 PM

I have a quarter sheet but I haven't used it yet this year. Mine goes over my legs and over my horse's hind. I like it for walking but anything more than that and it seems like the sheet just gets in the way. I would say go for it but don't expect to use it for much more than the walk!