The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   One Picture -- Everything You Can Tell (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/one-picture-everything-you-can-tell-102553/)

Brighteyes 11-05-2011 06:45 PM

One Picture -- Everything You Can Tell

1 Attachment(s)
(I'm mad. I went out this morning and took a load of beautiful confo pictures. Half way through, my camera told me "internal memory is full." I hadn't put in the flipping memory card... And I don't have a USB cable. :evil: I realized this when I got home. After the switch to my memory card, I only took pictures of one side, thinking I had a USB at home. I'm sorry. :oops:)

But I want my critique, dangit! So here's one picture of my horse. She's a five-year-old gaited spotted saddle horse mare. I currently use her for CTRs and other trail-y events. I want to start jumping and participating in the SSHBEA sport horse events. Is her conformation suitable for sport horse type things?

She works in a very hollow frame, so I worry about her top line. How's her muscling? Weight/condition/coat/etc? Tell me everything. Analyze and over analyze.

I WILL get pictures of her other side and back/front legs. I apologize again.

wafflestheunicorn 11-06-2011 12:30 AM

maybe do some work with draw reins or side reins if he knows how. is he green? what kind of work does he do? what is his diet?

Brighteyes 11-06-2011 11:17 AM

I've never used draw reins or side reins on her, riding or lunging. I don't know how to do that, so I'd have to ask how. :) She's isn't super green; she's been ridden consistently for almost a year. As far as diet, she spends 14 hours a day on pasture and gets one quart of Purina Strategy once a day.

We do one to two hours trails three days a week (40% walk, 30% gait, 20% trot, 10% canter). At least once a week, we do basic arena work and pop over a few jumps.

crimson88 11-06-2011 01:02 PM

Here's my expert opinion on her....
She's very adorable :3

Hehe, just had to say that. I know very little about gaited horses so I have no idea how she would be for jumping. I suppose if she's coordianted and agile enough she would be fine for lower level jumping.

Brighteyes 11-06-2011 01:04 PM

^^

He he, thanks! I agree with your expert judgement. :3

She is pretty agile. She does flying lead changes around sharp turns on the trail and can stop and roll back like a reining horse. Super cuteness!

vivache 11-06-2011 08:25 PM

You know I love BG's confo.

But of course she had to be parked out for this confo critique. XDD Rrrgh!

Hmm.. she should really be fine for anything you want to with her, especially within the SSHBEA.

smrobs 11-06-2011 10:20 PM

LOL, it is very hard for me to judge conformation on a horse that is parked out because I am not accustomed to seeing it. One thing I can see is that it appears that her legs are clean, straight, and sturdy with good angles (at least I think so, I can't see her hocks well but I haven't seen many gaited horses with posty hocks). Weight/condition/coat all look really good to me. No ribs, no pointy hips or shoulders, no jiggly blubber, coat is about as shiny as you can expect with the start of winter woolies. Muscling looks decent, topline isn't perfect but it isn't bad either. All in all, even parked out like that, I see a sturdy horse that appears to have sound conformation. I see absolutely no reason why you couldn't do whatever you wanted to with her.

Brighteyes 11-06-2011 10:53 PM

Note to self: next time, no parking out!

...But it looks so fancy! *.*

Thank you, Smrobs! :)

I'm glad the top line has checked out okay. Last time I posted a picture, she was much worse. I guess I'll keep trotting poles, as it seems to have helped!

smrobs 11-06-2011 10:58 PM

Do you spend much time trying to teach her to give her head and flex at the poll while moving?

Brighteyes 11-06-2011 11:05 PM

I've tried to get her to bring her head down and flex at the pole (she holds her head like a llama). She doesn't seem to get it. My trainer and I spend an entire lesson attempting to lower her head, drive her into the bit, and round her back. I vibrated the reins, alternating one and the other (I hate to say "see sawing" due to negative associations)... But she just got frustrated and shut down on me.

So, no. We just scamper around like llamas. :oops: