The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Impatient Horse When Stalled?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/impatient-horse-when-stalled-102567/)

HorseloverZB 11-05-2011 08:16 PM

Impatient Horse When Stalled??

Hi! My gelding is very impatient when he is in his stall. He is an extremely great horse otherwise! He has great ground manners and all that, but he gets jumpy in his stall.
My dad built an amazing barn and added a pretty big stall in there for my gelding. I wanted a stall for him so when he is grained, so my little shetland pony can't steal any haha. Well I was only going to put him in there when he was grained and let him out after, but then I noticed that right when he is done, he wants out! My little mare eats next to his stall, so they can still see and touch each other, but if I leave and she is still in the barn, he freaks out! He starts to ram his chest against the door, toss his head, paw, whinny and I'm afraid he is going to bust down the door, so I always end up letting him out, which I shouldn't be doing!!! He has water, hay and toys, so he shouldn't be bored.
I want him to be able to stand in there nicely because I like to have individual time with my horses. I want to be able to put him in the stall and work with my pony and then switch. Would I possibly be able to tie him in there?
Thanks!!
~Darien :-)

Skyseternalangel 11-05-2011 10:24 PM

Well this is what I would do.

I'd start doing things in the stall with him. Lead him in, brush him down. Increase the time he's in there until he can handle 30 minutes alone. Start small.. do as much as he can handle.. BEFORE he starts thumping. If it's 10 seconds, so be it. Build up slowly so he learns the stall is a nice place to be, not a horsey isolation box from pasture buddies.

You aren't babying him by doing this, just make sure you are safe, he is safe, and it's done without much fuss.

You'll figure it out :)

HorseloverZB 11-06-2011 09:03 AM

Thanks! I fogot to put that I have been grooming him everyday in his stall also. I will have to try slowly increaseing the time everyday, as long as he stays comfortable :)

Skyseternalangel 11-06-2011 09:20 AM

Is there a way you can safely tie your horse in the stall? Maybe pull a crosstie through or tie to a breakable piece of hay rope?

Reason I ask is you could tie him up safely and then work on leaving the stall too.. like if you are grooming, instead of keeping all the brushes right there, start leaving them farther away with the door open so he feels like he can flee if possible. Put them by the stall door, then just outside, then a little farther away.

You know your horse and what he can handle.. always stop before a blow up or before he starts getting nervous.

Good luck!!

HorseloverZB 11-06-2011 10:40 AM

Thanks! Yes I can safely tie him in the stall, I just didn't know how he would act. But if I do tie him up, then that will stop him from thumping on the door, and I won't have to worry about him busting it down! I like the idea of placing the brushs farther away, so then he knows I will be coming back, even if I walk away.
Thanks again! Your a great help!!
~Darien :)

Skyseternalangel 11-06-2011 09:14 PM

Keep us posted on the progress :)

THN 11-06-2011 09:36 PM

Stalls are unnature for a horse. They know the field and the open space. being trapped in a box is bad in the eyes of an horse that isen't accustom to it. There is no room for flight and that is a horses #1 concern. If something is going to eat me where am i going to go, what are my options, how do i get out of here. I do the same thing i don't know why but every time i go somewhere i quick survey, where are the exits?, fire extinguisher/alarms, light switch?, who's in the room, if someone walks in with a gun what can i pick up as a weapon?, Where will i hide? It's survival instincts that some people/horses have a stronger tie to. everyone probably has it to some extent, but some more than others. I'm not saying that it's impossible to fix the behavior. he needs to feel that nothing is going to try to eat him. safe. even once you get him to stop banging at the gate i am sure he will probably be a stall walker.