The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   What should I do? (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/what-should-i-do-102591/)

wafflestheunicorn 11-05-2011 11:25 PM

What should I do?

I board my horse at a farm. We event/hunter/jumper. I just bought a horse trailer. In the summer I would like to bring her down to our hunting camp to do trails xc etc. We have land but i need a place for her to stay on our land. She will be staying two or so nights at a time and occationaly my friends horse may come too. they are mare and gelding and get along okish. i wouldnt be able to do much about footing wich would be dirt. should i make a round pen? sqareish pen? run-in with two stalls? i don't have a fenced in paddock. i will probably be using portable pens. any suggestions? how much $ am i looking at spending?

proequine 11-08-2011 04:28 PM

Portable panels will probably walk-off while your gone... unless you take them home with you.

When putting more than 1 horse into the same small pen, I would do round if possible. That way a horse cannot get trapped into a corner.

If you will travel there often, I would think the run-in shelter with 2 stalls would be the best, but would cost more.

Trail riders and endurance rider sites will have all kinds of travel type fencing that you could use if "best cost" is the issue. Test them out at your home stable first before traveling.

Since it is a hunting camp, post & rail might be the most cost effective... if you can find a "lumberjack" to help you build it! :lol:

wafflestheunicorn 11-08-2011 06:47 PM

i was thinking about making two small round pens or two "stalls" with a roof. they are used to being stabled allday at shows and not getting turnout so i probably won't build a paddock. maybe a run in with a gate?

Saddlebag 11-13-2011 07:28 PM

Electric is likely your best bet. I'd go with a batter powered one as you can always put the booster cables on to recharge it. The charger draws very little power and is more reliable than solar. If there are stout trees just attach insulators to enough trees to hold up two strands of wire, a hot and a neutral. If the horses have been behind electric they won't even test it.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 11-13-2011 11:32 PM

A couple of lean to's for shelter with a gate across them would work fine.