The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   My new TWH... I'm proud and have to brag a little bit :) (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/my-new-twh-im-proud-have-102620/)

arrowsaway 11-06-2011 10:50 AM

My new TWH... I'm proud and have to brag a little bit :)

2 Attachment(s)
Introducing Smokin' Joe's Secret... Great-grandson of Pride's Generator, Grandson of The Pusher CG... (I know it's moot since he's a gelding, but I think it's something to be proud of, anyway. :-)) Smoke is 16.2hh with good looks and a gentle personality to boot. We introduced him to the herd last night and he's made himself right at home. This isn't necessarily a request for a critique, I'm just a proud mama! :D

Below are some photos from his ads. (I haven't taken any of my own yet. Those are still to come!)
But since today is a gorgeous day, I think we'll go for our first trail ride together. Wish us luck!

Kiviknon 11-06-2011 11:36 AM

He's just a little guy.

Please note my only experience with a walker was 17.3hh

Cinnys Whinny 11-06-2011 11:50 AM

He's cute! I don't think he's so little. My cousin had a walker that was only 14.1... that was a teenie walker! Your new boy looks like so much fun!

Joe4d 11-06-2011 11:56 AM

I love a walker,, Not sure how tall mine is gonna have to measure one of these days.

Red Gate Farm 11-06-2011 12:09 PM

He doesn't look small to me at all. At 16.2 hh isn't he more to the higher range of TWH height? I think I read they are from 14.2hh - 17hh.

:lol: He looks very handsome. Congrats!

arrowsaway 11-06-2011 08:32 PM

thanks guys :-)
yes, he is rather tall but he really is a big puppy dog... not intimidating at all.
our trail ride this afternoon was amazing! there is nothing he won't do, and I don't even have to ask him... he is such a good boy.

he does need about 100 lbs of weight on him (those pics aren't very recent). idk why he got thin, the seller said she wasn't graining him, so maybe he really needed that. any tips on how to get him back to peak condition?

Cacowgirl 11-06-2011 08:38 PM

I think he looks very nice, & he's BIG! Glad he did everything well for you today. I'd be careful w/grain- just give him plenty of good quality hay & will he be out on any pasture? I like beet pulp (soaked) as a way to get some extra calories in w/out making them too "hot".

HorseOfCourse 11-06-2011 08:56 PM

He looks exactly like a horse that was in my 4-H club and the rider looks like the girl who rode him.. if you don't mind me asking, is he by any chance from Indiana?
Posted via Mobile Device

Cacowgirl 11-06-2011 11:21 PM

It looks like the OP is in Indiana, so I would bet the new horse is,too. Maybe she'll come back & give out more info.

kstinson 11-07-2011 09:50 AM

Your boy is very handsome, that head is gorgeous! Gotta love the nobility in the look of those old lines :)

As for weight, when we're working our horses we feed them a mixture of beet pulp, mineral, power 2000 and sunflower seeds (black) twice a day in small portions...about a scoop each. It seems to work and hold really well for them, although some people disagree with beet pulp, we've had really good results with it, i think the main thing is that whatever you choose to feed him consistency is the key for horses. We've had some boarders come through and feed their horses big bows of feed once or twice a week, but i saw absoutely no difference in their horses.