The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Do some horses prefer curb bits to snaffles? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/do-some-horses-prefer-curb-bits-102632/)

bsms 11-06-2011 01:58 PM

Do some horses prefer curb bits to snaffles?

I normally ride my horses without a bit. I have sometimes ridden them using a regular snaffle or a french link snaffle. Trooper seems content with the snaffles, and Mia seems to resent both bits.

I was thinking of trying a curb bit on Mia, just to see if she would accept it with better grace than a snaffle. Do any of you have horses who simply preferred a curb bit to a snaffle?

While I have many faults as a rider, harsh hands is NOT one of them. Any thoughts?

bubba13 11-06-2011 02:08 PM

Why Shanked Bits are Utterly Evil, etc. :wink:

Yes, but generally only if they are accustomed to a curb.

SaddleOnline 11-07-2011 11:48 PM

It really depends on training. Horses that are trained to respond to a shanked, curb bit typically respond well, and it may very well be what they are comfortable in.

On the other hand, sticking a curb on a horse that is already responsive and doesn't need it is adding a rather harsh accessory for no real reason.

Tianimalz 11-07-2011 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaddleOnline (Post 1225969)

On the other hand, sticking a curb on a horse that is already responsive and doesn't need it is adding a rather harsh accessory for no real reason.

It's not harsh if you know how to use it properly :wink:

bubbleslove 11-07-2011 11:51 PM

I agree with Bubba - my two geldings were both used to being in curbs, and when I tried the snaffle on them, both were pretty clear about their unhappiness with it. My green-ish mare is more used to a snaffle, and because I've been careful to keep her soft in the curb and snaffle, she doesn't have issues with switching back and forth. I think it's really dependent on their training.