The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   New lean to shed built by a chick (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/new-lean-shed-built-chick-102636/)

churumbeque 11-06-2011 01:20 PM

New lean to shed built by a chick

1 Attachment(s)
I just started my shed. 8x12 I was quoted 2500.00 to have it built and I will have less than 20 hours in it and 400.00 maximum in materials. Putting the metal siding on tomarrow.

Val1991 11-06-2011 03:40 PM

yay! go team chick builders!

Dreamcatcher Arabians 11-06-2011 03:49 PM

YAY! Go Lady Contractors!

natisha 11-06-2011 03:54 PM

Very nice but you may want to put corner bracings on before the siding.

iridehorses 11-06-2011 04:05 PM

I admire the effort but it is very weak construction. The siding will not give it strength and you have nothing to nail them to- you need studs every 16" and 2x4 cross pieces.

Saskia 11-06-2011 06:15 PM

That is better than what I could do.

I once built a horse stable with my mother. It was ridiculously tall and we used garage doors as walls as we found some very cheap. It was a major effort and we had no idea what we were doing. It swayed in the wind. Saying that its lasted a while (until we took it down) and worked fine, totally waterproof and stood in practically gale force winds.

Would never do it ever again though, worth every sent paying someone else. Digging holes in the hard Australian clay soil is very difficult.

usandpets 11-07-2011 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iridehorses (Post 1224338)
I admire the effort but it is very weak construction. The siding will not give it strength and you have nothing to nail them to- you need studs every 16" and 2x4 cross pieces.

You don't need studs every 16 or 24 inches. Pole barns, at least around here, have poles or posts 4 to 8 feet apart. The siding is attached to purlins or boards going across that are 4 feet apart. It's the same for sheet metal roofing.

I think there should be at least one more post in the back. Depending on how deep the posts go, you might want to add bracing in the corners. I can't tell how big the posts are but they do look small.

Otherwise, I think you did a good job on your own.
Posted via Mobile Device

churumbeque 11-07-2011 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usandpets (Post 1224881)
You don't need studs every 16 or 24 inches. Pole barns, at least around here, have poles or posts 4 to 8 feet apart. The siding is attached to purlins or boards going across that are 4 feet apart. It's the same for sheet metal roofing.

I think there should be at least one more post in the back. Depending on how deep the posts go, you might want to add bracing in the corners. I can't tell how big the posts are but they do look small.

Otherwise, I think you did a good job on your own.
Posted via Mobile Device

The rafters are 18" on center and the post are in concrete at 4' which is below the frost line. The posts are 4x4. The roof is very light and this is stronger than required. I have an identical shed next to it that has held up fine for 11 yrs and is very sturdy that men built. :lol: The interior will also be lined with plywood. I may add some cross bracing in the corners to add some strength though to be safe. Thanks for the tips.

QOS 11-07-2011 09:36 AM

You go girl!!! Can't wait to see your finished shed.

churumbeque 11-07-2011 05:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just finished it and had a frosty mug to celebrate. It was a very rewarding project. Some rake was out of stock but have 2 pieces of trim yet to put on.