The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   A good English saddle for me? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/good-english-saddle-me-102640/)

QHriderKE 11-06-2011 02:18 PM

A good English saddle for me?

I want an English saddle that I can just pop on a horse and go for a ride instead of having to heave me 60 pound rope saddle up there :P

I'm looking for a used saddle that's cheap (It's not like I'm gonna be showing or anything) and yeah...

So what do you think of this one?

English Riding Saddle - Medicine Hat Pet Accessories - Kijiji Medicine Hat Canada.

It's only about an hour drive to go pick it up... and I just got paid again, so I can easily afford it, and it comes with the pad, irons and girth...

Golden Horse 11-06-2011 02:57 PM

Trouble is the ad doesn't tell you anything about size of the saddle either the seat size for you, or any info on width for your horse.

What size and shape is your horse, and what size western saddle do you take?

Rachel1786 11-06-2011 03:06 PM

If I were you I would look for a wintec, light weight and pretty much no maintenance!

QHriderKE 11-06-2011 03:10 PM

I emailed her and asked her if it would fit my horses (they fit well with just QH bars) and she said she used it on a QH so..

I ride in a 14-15 inch western saddle, so about a 16 inch English saddle, right?

Plus, she said I could just set up a date and look at it... if that would help.

jumanji321 11-06-2011 04:05 PM

I would say look for a 17 inch. 16 inch is on the small side. You can go look at it though to be safe because sometimes saddles can be sized differently. She also said she used it on a quarter horse, but that doesn't mean it fit her quarter horse.

kitten_Val 11-06-2011 07:28 PM

You can't know for sure if the saddle fit your horse until you actually TRY it on. :wink: Asking someone "if it'll fit" won't help. Because lots of things involved: shoulders, how "curvy" the back is, etc. So in your price range I'd look for something local or the place/seller that allows returns.

WildAcreFarms 11-07-2011 04:06 AM

OK so you need to know what size saddle you need as a rider probably 17. then what size the tree is for your horse. what size tree do you use now? I'd be looking for an older used name brand saddle such as an 1890s model Passier or Stubben, those saddles will hold up better, be much more likely to sit you correctly and be a better investment while you are trying to decide what you might want. Jefferies makes really nice English saddles too and you can often find them cheap ;)