The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   I got yelled at for making my pony stand still (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/i-got-yelled-making-my-pony-102653/)

LoveTheSaddlebreds 11-06-2011 03:35 PM

I got yelled at for making my pony stand still

So after I rode today, I had about an hour before I had to actually leave, so I decided to give Leia a bath (she was awfully dirty and sweaty!) and towel dried her some, but she was still pretty damp. She was also doing the 'I hate washstalls' dance and being pushy and annoying. Basically she didn't want to be in there. She really hates washstalls. SO I decided to let her dry in there while I sat nearby sketching her. I was gonna let her sit there until she relaxed (and I drew a decent picture lol) before letting her out. So, I sat there listening to music and sketching her, she moved around less and less as time went by.

Then some lady walked by asking me what I was doing. I told her we were having a lesson on patience. She raised a brow and looked at me like I was dumb. She said "you know, horses don't think the way we do. Forcing her to stand in a place that scares her won't solve anything," then she looked at me like she was waiting for a response so I just told her that Leia has never liked the wash stalls and I had free time and was gonna let her stand there until she became comfortable. then the lady shook her head and gave me a disapproving "good luck". I felt pretty awkward after that, but continued to draw my pony until she relaxed. And guess what? she ended up falling asleep - exactly what I wanted.

Is this a good method? I've always thought the only way to teach patience is to make them sit and relax. I may be wrong.. *shrug*

MHFoundation Quarters 11-06-2011 03:37 PM

Take her words with a grain of salt. I'd have done the same. Mine all are expected to stand tied wherever, whenever for however long I choose. If they don't stand relaxed, they stay until they do. It's an essential lesson for them to learn.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 11-06-2011 03:48 PM

YOU are totally right on with your training method. I'd have told the other person to "get stuffed" but I'm cranky that way, LOL!

LoveTheSaddlebreds 11-06-2011 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians (Post 1224324)
YOU are totally right on with your training method. I'd have told the other person to "get stuffed" but I'm cranky that way, LOL!

^LOL I really wanted to, but I'm fairly new to the barn (only been there since mid-summer) and I want to keep a good image xD I don't want to make unnecessary enemies lol

I was pretty sure I was right, but I'm only 17 and haven't had a trainer since March and I doubt myself and my methods a lot.. Especially since the lady's an adult. (I know, I know, doesn't mean she's right, but I doubted myself anyways) I feel better now that I've made sure I wasn't doing anything wrong xD

nicole25 11-06-2011 03:54 PM

I would have done the same thing you did. You are teaching her that she cant get away with whatever she wants and basically put her in time out. Great work!

Mike Zimmerman 11-06-2011 04:48 PM

When taking advice from sombody like that take what their horse acts like into concideration. How well does her stand?
Posted via Mobile Device

Saskia 11-06-2011 04:55 PM

I think that is a good, non-confrontational way to get your horse to stand in a wash bay. Many people do they whole "getting annoyed at the horse" thing, or constant correcting, but if you have the time just leaving them there until they settle can be good.

Everyone has different opinions, its a shame she couldn't be more polite about it.

franknbeans 11-06-2011 04:57 PM

From my experience there-some of the kids (like you) have much more sense than many of the adults who board there. I bet I even know which one it was. Ignore her. I did as well when I was there. You are right in your methods. It was also my experience that those same people have rude pushy horses, who won't stand still on crossties or anywhere.

LoveTheSaddlebreds 11-06-2011 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Zimmerman (Post 1224371)
When taking advice from sombody like that take what their horse acts like into concideration. How well does her stand?
Posted via Mobile Device

I've never actually seen her handle her horse lol Whenever she's there, all she does is strip her stall (like she takes out all the mats and saw dust and EVERYTHING) and her friend does weird construction things.. I'm not exactly sure WHAT they're trying to accomplish there xD But, I did the same thing for the cross ties and it worked wonders.

I always seem to get nagged by older people, I think it's cause its common knowledge I'm trainerless so everyone jumps at the chance to correct me. x3

Kayty 11-06-2011 05:46 PM

Does she know how most trainers teach a horse to hard tie?
They get tied to a post or tree, usually with a neck strap and halter, with a thick rope, and left there on their own to work out that struggling and fighting is no good and they may as well just stand still and sleep ;)