The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   No money but can't give up my dream. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/no-money-but-cant-give-up-102671/)

itsdennys 11-06-2011 07:34 PM

No money but can't give up my dream.

I've been riding for almost 12 years. The first few years I was able to afford it but over time I wound up working for my lessons and began training horses on my own. I just recently moved away for school and I have yet to find any place that could help me out. All I want is some experience. I'll work in exchange for riding lessons or any work with a horse. I just don't want to have to let go of this simply because I can't afford it.
This time last year I was doing 4ft courses consistently, but unfortunately the horse was sold by the owner. The horse I worked with after that was for flat work only. I have experience starting green horses over fences, in fact, one of them was my 4ft horse. I have also trained horses for natural horsemanship. Bit-less and bridle-less is so much fun.
I've tried everything imaginable to find a place to ride out here. I even found someone to sponsor me... I just can't seem to find anyone. I found one hunter-jumper barn and I did visit and had an evaluation lesson, but I wasn't fond of the horse she wanted me to ride and the way she ran the facility. I just want a place to have fun and play with horses haha
If someone could please help me or give me some idea of where to look or what to do.... I've tried craigslist for literally everything related to horses... nothing so far. I've posted on there, people have contacted me, but they want me to go wayyy too far.
Please please please please :-(

Red Gate Farm 11-06-2011 07:43 PM

A quick google search shows a few facilities in the Redland, CA area. Did you try that?

Are you looking for english, western, or what? I found this, the Southern California Equestrian Directory. None of these are what you're looking for?

Southern California Equestrian Directory

itsdennys 11-06-2011 07:51 PM

I haven't tried that yet, thank you for the link. I'm definitely checking that out. :clap:
I'd prefer to stick with English and jumping, but in the end I just don't want to let go of the horses so any discipline will do.

Red Gate Farm 11-06-2011 08:03 PM

You're welcome :-)

Skyseternalangel 11-06-2011 11:50 PM

Have you tried looking for an internship or answering boarding barn or private barn mucking out ads? Like where they need someone to clean stalls or help with feedings. It could lead to exchanged rides if you get lucky. Or even volunteering at a riding center or a therapeutic riding center. They are always in need of people to exercise lesson horses or to handle them.

Or even getting a part time job babysitting or whatnot and save for a lesson a month or so. There are tons of possibilities :)

itsdennys 11-06-2011 11:54 PM

Yeah I'm definitely interested in doing something like that as well. I made a list of local facilities from the link I got earlier and I'm going to make my calls tomorrow, just see what opportunities are available. I'm just slightly limited because I am a full time student and I work part time on campus as part of my financial aid. So, although I've still got some time in the day, it's not a big chunk of time. I've just got my fingers crossed that someone is willing to work with me when I am available. :D

Skyseternalangel 11-07-2011 01:27 AM

Usually everyone needs help on weekends, just you gotta make sure it's something you want to do with all of your heart because you'll wear out realllly fast

itsdennys 11-07-2011 02:40 PM

yeah, I was working as a groom in exchange for lessons before I moved out here. I'm used to the work load and I honestly love it. I tried calling the nearest barns from the link... 2 disconnected numbers, left 2 messages, and one woman said to call again after the holidays... progress... right?

Endiku 11-07-2011 02:52 PM

If you're willing to work, you'll find something ^^ I live in a family that can't afford anything fancy. We can buy food and clothes, but anything outside of that you have to work for. Like you, I didn't let that stop me. A bit over three years ago started volunteering at a Therapeudic Riding facility on Saturdays, doing the worst of the worst jobs. Mucking, composting, scrubbing saddles and bits, and picking up trash. I had to do that for almost five months just to be able to look at a horse, much less work with them. I spent eight hours every single Saturday working my butt off in return for nothing. Or so I thought. The BO had been watching me for these five months, and he realized how hard I was willing to work for what I loved. They began to teach me to handle horses, beginning with just grooming, feeding, and cooling out used horses- then teaching me to ride. It took three years but now I'm not only the head therapy instructor, I also coach beginner and intermediate riding lessons, exercise and tune up lesson horses, halter break, saddle break, and driving break minis, ponies and horses, but I'm also in training under the head horse trainer; all because I wasn't discouraged by having to start at the bottom.

Just keep up your willing attitude and someone is bound to notice. Be patient; do your grunt work time. They'll see that you're actually a very valuable addition, and you'll be back up in the saddle in no time ;)

upnover 11-08-2011 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsdennys (Post 1224491)
I found one hunter-jumper barn and I did visit and had an evaluation lesson, but I wasn't fond of the horse she wanted me to ride and the way she ran the facility. I just want a place to have fun and play with horses haha

This might be your problem....

At one point in your post you're saying you just want to ride... this quote you're saying you didn't like the horse/owner and you just wnat to have fun. At this stage you're probably going to have to start from the bottom and work your way up, and that means working your butt off and dealing with a lot of crap that you don't like. If you're willing to do that I'd check out yardandgroom.com and see if anyone needs weekend help. Another option is to wait it out, graduate college, make money, and pay to ride. Sadly there are times in your life when you don't get to ride as much as you'd like.