The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   Life Jacket? (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/life-jacket-102680/)

Oxer 11-06-2011 09:23 PM

Life Jacket?

Point Two USA | Equestrian Air Jackets for Safer Riding
i was reading about this company and the product they sell...
i would love to get some of your opinions on this kind of thing. My trainer would disown me if i walked into the arena wearing this, but i always like to see companies trying to make our sport just a wee bit safer.

VelvetsAB 11-06-2011 09:31 PM

It isn't a life jacket, it is an air vest.

Why would your trainer disown you?

It looks like a regular eventing vest, until the cord gets pulled. I saw one in person yesterday, and although I knew it was a new air vest, thought it looked like a regular vest.

Oxer 11-06-2011 09:38 PM

our barn is such that new and unconventional things introduced into the horse community, are simply unacceptable. Even the regular vests that people occasionally wear, are unacceptable attire at our barn. It's just the nature of things. I will say however, this "air vest" seems a little strange. Do you suppose it really works for more serious falls???

Joe4d 11-06-2011 09:39 PM

I guarantee the first time I dismounted I would forget about the cord an "POOF" then my horse would freak, But If I was boucing off rocks I sure would like it then.

Sophie19 11-06-2011 10:01 PM

I have never used one but I heard an interview with the inventors on Stable Scoop. They seemed to know their stuff and have scientific evidence that it worked.

THN 11-06-2011 10:04 PM

This brings a whole new meaning to children being bubble wrapped these days. anyways, moving on from social views. I like the idea of the jacket, but i wouldn't trust it. i know that if i have a regular vest on that that vest is going to be there when i am eating dirt. i am just too afraid that something like this would malfunction and there i am eating dirt with broken ribs and my spleen lying next to me. also i am sure there is experation dates and buying extra CO2 canisters when you forget do detach before dismounting and that is where they got you because you have to buy their CO2 canister. and if you are likely to forget to detach then you are likely to forget to attach and well now the vest does no good and when you get done eating dirt and scooping up your spleen you say "oh, yah, i thought i forgot something."

slightly over dramatic? maybe, but its the way i roll.

Shasta1981 11-06-2011 11:32 PM

These jackets are used by many pros and are very expensive which is probably why we don't see them that often. Yes, I think they are valid in terms of safety equipment, but nothing is guaranteed.

I would definitely forget to unhook the cord at least once, but I bet I would remember after buying a replacement canister!

ridergirl23 11-06-2011 11:58 PM

They're so funny! I think it would be a blast to try. Its good they're trying to make the sport safer, although it will never be perfectly safe, but then again nothing is.
I don't think i would ever wear one. I never get on without a helmet, but never a vest, although I'm a dressage rider..... not as crazy as eventing ;) can't imagine peoples faces if i rode a test in one of those!!!!

Oxer 11-07-2011 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridergirl23 (Post 1224798)
I don't think i would ever wear one. I never get on without a helmet, but never a vest, although I'm a dressage rider..... not as crazy as eventing ;) can't imagine peoples faces if i rode a test in one of those!!!!

Yes.
A helmet is a definite. But this almost seems a little over the top. (p.s. Ridergirl, i looove your avatar!)

I didn't think about that little fact of forgetting to unhook your vest before you dismount. I would likely end up doing that a couple times. hahaha!
My barn mates would never let me live that down.

Quixotic 11-08-2011 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THN (Post 1224652)
I like the idea of the jacket, but i wouldn't trust it. i know that if i have a regular vest on that that vest is going to be there when i am eating dirt. i am just too afraid that something like this would malfunction and there i am eating dirt with broken ribs and my spleen lying next to me.

The air vest is worn over your normal vest, so you'd still have your normal level of protection in the off chance that it decided to malfunction.