The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Saddle questions. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/saddle-questions-102786/)

Cowgirls Boots 11-07-2011 08:49 PM

Saddle questions.

125 Attachment(s)
Sorry about so many threads lately! :S but I've had my western barrel saddle for about 2 years now. It has regular QH bars. Now my gelding I just got 3 weeks ago and he was (still is) on the skinner side. You can't see his ribs but he has no muscle mass what-so-ever. My saddle pad is kinda small for my saddle so I'm looking at getting a better more expensive one in the near future anyway.
Ok, so my question is, Is that his wither kinda hits the saddle when I'm riding. (it's not completely hitting and rubbing but it's just touching his wither) now would a better pad and more muscle and weight fix this? Bc he is pretty slender around the shoulder right now so I feel like the saddle has nothin to really rest on but I might be completely wrong. He doesn't seem to care when I ride him in that saddle and it doesn't seem to bother him in anyway but opinions are helpful.
Posted via Mobile Device

bubba13 11-07-2011 08:50 PM

Sounds like the saddle just plain doesn't fit.

Sharpie 11-07-2011 08:59 PM

What Bubbu said: Hitting the withers = doesn't fit. It is true that his shape might change as you muscle him up with work, but I wouldn't do that work in a saddle that doesn't fit and might sore him. Too many people try and too many horses have saddle scars to show for it. There is no guarantee that he will ever get wide enough for any given saddle.

Cowgirls Boots 11-07-2011 09:54 PM

125 Attachment(s)
Ok so what should I do? He's still going to gain alot of weight and muscle and idk if a better pad would help? I'll try and get a pic tomorrow because I know it's not hurting him but it's just touching his wither and I'm so bad with trying to fit a saddle.
Posted via Mobile Device

SaddleOnline 11-07-2011 10:16 PM

If you aren't willing to commit to replacing your saddle just yet, start riding with a big thick pad or put two pads under the saddle to help while he's gaining weight and muscle - they do not have to be super expensive pads, just nice thick fluffy ones. Let him gain some weight and muscle and then re-assess him or, if you aren't good at saddle fitting, have a more experienced rider or professional saddle fitter assess him and make a decision from there.

Cowgirls Boots 11-07-2011 10:42 PM

125 Attachment(s)
Ok thanks. I was just thinking it might be a bit different once he gains weight and muscle because he is extremely lacking in that department. I just dont want to hurt his back even though he isn't in any pain now.
Posted via Mobile Device

highlonesome 11-07-2011 10:51 PM

3/4 tree

Need to look for a saddle built on a 3/4 qh tree.Will fit his withers alot better and not sore him up.

Cowgirls Boots 11-07-2011 11:00 PM

125 Attachment(s)
Okay. I will keep that in mind! I'm gonna go get a diff pad with alotnof padding and maybe double up for now til he gets weight on and check again
Posted via Mobile Device

Sharpie 11-07-2011 11:14 PM

Look for wither relief pads when you go shopping- you want to pad up the area on either side of his withers while adding as little material as possible in the area where there's already too much pressure, otherwise you're not actually changing the fit at all. I hope it works for you, and most importantly, for him! :)

Cowgirls Boots 11-07-2011 11:16 PM

125 Attachment(s)
Thanks so much!
So maybe something like this?
http://www.chicksaddlery.com/page/CDS/PROD/1030/TWR953
Or this?
http://www.horse.com/item/neoprene-gel-orthopedic-wither-pad/WIH11/srccode=MRHSGOOG&mr:trackingCode=046EA06B-E581-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

Posted via Mobile Device