The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Bending at the Poll? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/bending-poll-102801/)

LoveTheSaddlebreds 11-07-2011 10:11 PM

Bending at the Poll?

My mare does this little trick where I have her bending her whole body the way I want, for example to the inside, and she can turn her head only from the poll so that she is still looking to the outside, with her nose to the inside, if there's something interesting. I don't know what it would technically be called, but my last trainer called it 'bending at the poll' and that seems pretty correct.

I use a lot of inside rein and a LOT of inside leg and try to really push her into the bend, but her body's not the problem. Neck, nose, and body are all bent where I want, but she still manages to tilt her head to look to the outside.. I'm not sure how to explain it correctly xD

Kayty 11-07-2011 10:20 PM

Tilting at the poll, or head tilt, are the terms you are looking for.

Generally this comes not because the horse wants to look at something outside the arena, but because 1. The hind legs are not active enough and 2. The horse is not straight.
These two issus go hand in hand, fix the hinds legs and the straightness will improve, which will allow the horse to work into your contact.
Pulling on the inside rein will merely exhuberate this problem, the issue is the hind end, fix that, and the head tilt will go too - no reins needed.

I'd be interested to see photos/video of how your mare travels.

LoveTheSaddlebreds 11-07-2011 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayty (Post 1225921)
Tilting at the poll, or head tilt, are the terms you are looking for.

Generally this comes not because the horse wants to look at something outside the arena, but because 1. The hind legs are not active enough and 2. The horse is not straight.
These two issus go hand in hand, fix the hinds legs and the straightness will improve, which will allow the horse to work into your contact.
Pulling on the inside rein will merely exhuberate this problem, the issue is the hind end, fix that, and the head tilt will go too - no reins needed.

I'd be interested to see photos/video of how your mare travels.

But she only does it when there's stuff going on outside.. She's half saddlebred and by nature she's very 'looky'

I'll try to get a video of her next time I go out.

Kayty 11-07-2011 10:32 PM

Video would be great.

How are you using your inside rein to correct this?
Pulling backwards on the rein is going to cause more tilt - try opening your inside rein and riding your body towards your outside hand.

Spyder 11-07-2011 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveTheSaddlebreds (Post 1225908)
My mare does this little trick where I have her bending her whole body the way I want, for example to the inside, and she can turn her head only from the poll so that she is still looking to the outside, with her nose to the inside, if there's something interesting. I don't know what it would technically be called, but my last trainer called it 'bending at the poll' and that seems pretty correct.

Incorrect terminology and gives the wrong impression what is being done is correct.

As Kayty said it is tilting and incorrect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveTheSaddlebreds (Post 1225908)
I use a lot of inside rein and a LOT of inside leg and try to really push her into the bend, but her body's not the problem. Neck, nose, and body are all bent where I want, but she still manages to tilt her head to look to the outside.. I'm not sure how to explain it correctly xD

This will only increase the tilt.

Your outside rein is being ineffective. Give up using the inside rein so much. Here is where leg yields would be helpful.

LoveTheSaddlebreds 11-08-2011 02:44 PM

I use outside rein too. :P

Kayty 11-08-2011 04:08 PM

Even if using some outside rein, over using the inside rein will create tilt or other crookedness