The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Info about minis (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/info-about-minis-102819/)

KatieQ 11-08-2011 10:16 AM

Info about minis

Hi all,

Now that we have got the farm my husband and I are thinking about adopting a mini from a local rescue. I am just wondering how they get along with other (full size) horses, how much trouble are they to look after, etc.? Like, do they have special feeding requirements, are they okay on pasture or do they founder easily? Any special requirements of any kind?

FeatheredFeet 11-08-2011 12:09 PM

Good for you to consider adopting KatieQ. There are hundreds of Minis out there, needing homes.

Yes, they are different in many ways. Feeding must be carefully monitored. Most do not recommend keeping them with larger horses. One playful kick can mean the end of a Mini.

Your best bet, is to join the L'il Beginnings Mini forum. There is so much good advice there and every question will be answered.

Lizzie

KatieQ 11-08-2011 05:09 PM

Thanks Lizzy- I'll check that out I also looked at your website- beautiful horses! Gypsies are another special favorite of mine. The mini we are thinking of is at a rescue now- a beautiful 8 yr old gelding who spent his life tied to a stake in the ground before they rescued him (they think perhaps ALL of his life). That just about made me cry. But they have rehabilitated him and he is apparently doing well now, just waiting for a loving home which I hope we can give him.

FeatheredFeet 11-08-2011 05:26 PM

The Mini gelding sounds perfect for you. I do hope you are able to rescue him. There are so many needing to be rescued right now.

Thank you for the kind words about the Gypsies. All our horses now, actually belong to my daughter. I can no longer ride or have horses. My age, arthritis and osteoporosis, have taken their toll. However, I still keep my hand in, doing breed research and making a few websites for horse people. At my age now, and with my problems, probably Gypsies are the only horse I'd consider riding.

Lizzie

KatieQ 11-08-2011 05:38 PM

Actually I just checked again and he is 5- not 8. A very cute little pinto. If I can figure out how I will post a link to his photos. I'm really hoping we can get him, but if it doesn't work out I will keep trying- they have several available all the time, a lot are owner surrenders but I really fell for this little guy because he was an actual rescue from a bad situation and his story really got to me. I don't understand how people can be so heartless!

KatieQ 11-08-2011 05:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Okay- here are his pics (hope this worked). His name is Cinnabar. Is he a cutie or what?

KatieQ 11-08-2011 06:09 PM

Oops- just realized there is a separate subforum for minis- should have put this there, I guess!

FeatheredFeet 11-08-2011 06:13 PM

No worries. He's absolutely lovely. You are going to have such fun with him. After he's settled in and in good condition next spring, teach him to drive. My granddaughter drives our gelding. Such fun.

I DO hope you get him.

Lizzie