The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   What is my grade horse made of?(; (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/what-my-grade-horse-made-%3B-102822/)

shortysmalls 11-08-2011 11:00 AM

What is my grade horse made of?(;

9 Attachment(s)
I've asked this question before, but never really got any good answers, I've gotten more pictures since then and decided I'd give it another shot!
Hero-7 y/o-15.2hh-GRADE-not gaited
He is black, even though he looks like a solid bay in some pics, He's just faded.
I got him from the local sale barn a few months back and all I know about his past is whats on his Coggins.
I can't tell horse breeds, so any experts are welcome! I always thought I saw some Draft in the way his body looked, His head is HUGE, He's fat, and his withers aren't as high as the pictures make them look.
Also while you're at it can you give me a confo critique? And anything else you might see and like to share! I know his hindquarters aren't ideal but we've been working his butt off in the roundpen lately so hes starting to muscle up, maybe that'll help some(:
He tends to park out when standing, or tied up. Sometimes out in the field.. Not often.
Sorry about not getting very good pictures...
Thanks in advance! (:
Attachment 78769

Attachment 78770

Attachment 78771

Attachment 78772

Attachment 78773

Attachment 78774

Attachment 78775

Attachment 78776

Attachment 78777

Speed Racer 11-08-2011 11:09 AM

I don't see draft, I see an out of shape, fat TB, probably a cross of some sort.

Why is he standing like that in the last two pictures? Is that something he does often? That stance usually indicates pain.

Other than that, I can't critique him. The pictures are kind of useless for a proper confo critique.

shortysmalls 11-08-2011 11:17 AM

I have a TB,
Hero is far from hot, he is laid-back. Doesn't have high withers, and lives off of field. He has good feet, I keep him barefoot, and looks nothing like a TB to me....
But there are some differences in the breed. I have a TB and every TB I've seen cant live off of grass alone, and are as calm and level-headed as he is. But I'll take it in consideration... It's just hard for me to imagine it.
And I know, the pictures aren't that great.
And he's standing like that because he parks out, He always does it on lead when hes standing or when he's tied up. I rarely see him do it in the field.
His withers aren't as high as they look, I blame the butt.

ErikaLynn 11-08-2011 11:25 AM

I also see a TB.

I've seen a billion thoroughbreds...and they all look different. I've seen TBs that look like Saddlebreds, or Quarter horses, I've also seen TBs that were 15.1hh and ones that were 18hh. Some crazy and spooky, others you can't get to move. I also ride a few Thoroughbreds that are barefoot.

Thoroughbreds are all very different looking. Not like some horse were you can tell right away what breed they are.

Also, I agree with Speed Racer, that stance usually indicates pain.

Speed Racer 11-08-2011 11:30 AM

3 Attachment(s)
My TB is laid back, doesn't have high withers, and is a fairly easy keeper. JJ isn't barefoot in the front, but his hinds are.

Except for his color, your horse looks a lot like my JJ. Not all TBs are high energy, hard keepers with bad feet. To JJ, life is just one big nap, interrupted by food and exercise. :wink:

Once Secretariat was retired to stud and porked out, he didn't look much like anyone's idea of a TB, either. :-P

Here's JJ:

shortysmalls 11-08-2011 11:44 AM

Haha ! Wow!
Looks a lot like the same kinda horse!!!

Sorry, It's not that there aren't different looking& acting horses within breed, but its just hard for me to see cause Im so stuck on a TB being the opposite of what Hero is, but it is very possible. You guys could tell better than me for this very reason!

Speed Racer 11-08-2011 12:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's Secretariat at stud. Didn't look a whole lot like a racing fit TB anymore, now did he?

shortysmalls 11-08-2011 01:00 PM

Haha nope! Not exactly!
Posted via Mobile Device

caseymyhorserocks 11-08-2011 11:36 PM

Agreed. I see a TB cross.

Cowgirls Boots 11-10-2011 10:11 AM

In The first pics he looks Qh and the mIddle two he looks like a thoroughbred and then he's parking out which gaited horses do. Weird! They don't have a test on horses like they do with dogs where you take blood and check the chromosome count or whatever? We did the test with our mutt dog lol
Posted via Mobile Device