The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Fun Things to do With Your Horse (Mounted or Not!) (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/fun-things-do-your-horse-mounted-102827/)

sarahkgamble 11-08-2011 01:14 PM

Fun Things to do With Your Horse (Mounted or Not!)

Hey!

I feel like me and my boy do nothing but training (which is important, considering he's green broke), but I'd like to learn of some fun activities for the two of us to do together to increase our bonding and preferably so he learns something too that will help with training.

I ride alone usually, so trail rides are out.
He can walk, trot, and canter.
No jumping (yet).

So, what do you and your horse do for fun?!

MHFoundation Quarters 11-08-2011 01:27 PM

You can take "trail walks" instead of riding. I love doing that with my youngsters. Good exposure for them, exercise for me.

The biggest thing is changing it up so they don't lose interest and get bored. You could make a trail course/obstacle course and conquer the horse eating monsters together. Mailbox, rain slicker on a barrel, "L" to back through, bridge (sheet of plywood makes a quick one), working a gate, tarp to walk over, etc.

Even after I've got mine under saddle, I like to ground drive them or drag logs on off days.

Ground work, you can never do too much ground work. Yielding fore & hind, sidepass, pivots, etc.

sarahkgamble 11-08-2011 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MHFoundation Quarters (Post 1226486)
You can take "trail walks" instead of riding. I love doing that with my youngsters. Good exposure for them, exercise for me.

The biggest thing is changing it up so they don't lose interest and get bored. You could make a trail course/obstacle course and conquer the horse eating monsters together. Mailbox, rain slicker on a barrel, "L" to back through, bridge (sheet of plywood makes a quick one), working a gate, tarp to walk over, etc.

Even after I've got mine under saddle, I like to ground drive them or drag logs on off days.

Ground work, you can never do too much ground work. Yielding fore & hind, sidepass, pivots, etc.

I've never tried the tarp thing, I've never seen anyone at my barn do that. But it's certainly something I'd like to do with him! Thanks for your suggestions!