The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Traveling nurse with horses? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/traveling-nurse-horses-102832/)

SRich 11-08-2011 01:18 PM

Traveling nurse with horses?

I'm a senior in high school and I'm going to go to nursing school after I graduate. I will probably take a year off so that I can get a full time job and save for a car. I really want to become a traveling nurse. Traveling nurses travel and work at hospitals pretty much anywhere they want. You have to find a good agency and then you are pretty much set. Typically, you would have to stay there for 3 months, then you can prolong it if you wanted. When you sign the contract, you are obligated to stay for the 3 months.

I have been riding for half a year and I love horses. I hope to own one some day and maybe compete. If I can, I would also love to own my own business someday too. We'll see. :-) I couldn't imagine not being around/riding horses when I'm away. I don't think it would be possible to own a horse if I'm going to be a traveling nurse, because that just seems like it would be a huge ordeal.

So if anyone is a traveling nurse/travels alot, can you tell me how you continue to ride and be around horses. I'm thinking that I could probably volunteer and take lessons at barns that are close to where I'm going to be. But then again, I don't think someone would take me on as a student if I'm not planning on staying long.

If it comes down to it, I'd rather become a regular nurse so that I can be around horses. I love horses more than I want to travel. I was just wondering if it is possible, or if I should rethink my plan for my future.

Thanks to anyone that replies! :D

Saskia 11-08-2011 02:06 PM

I've moved around a bit and that is why I don't have a horse right now. I'm from Australia and I really wanted to travel, but in the last year I have traveled half of Australia, seen some more of Asia, and am now traveling Europe, all while studying full time, and its wonderful. Definitely something I'll never regret.

But saying that traveling isn't as important to me now. I've learned about what I think is important and traveling, while good, isn't it.

The thing is, you don't know if you'll like traveling. You don't know if you'll like college, you don't know if you'll like being a nurse. You don't know it you'll end up falling in love and getting married. You're only in high school, you have no idea what your future will bring. It's great to have plans and dreams, they give you direction, but don't worry about it now. Graduate nursing school and then decide what you want to do.

I fully recommend you take 6 months or a year and travel, maybe Europe, Asia, see some of the world. What I've learned though, is that pretty much everywhere is the same. It looks different, the people look different, speak other languages and there are always going to be cultural differences. But everyone has to get up and go to work everyday, they gossip about guys, fall in love, get annoyed at their parents, have dinner with their friends. After being somewhere for a few weeks it feels so normal, so the same as where ever.

Give traveling nursing a go by all means, but I wouldn't sink my entire hopes and dreams into it. I'd recommend working and go traveling properly, not just moving around every few months. Then decide what you want. You can always go to riding schools or whatever, but I think that it is much too expensive and difficult moving that often with a horse. See what life brings you.

SRich 11-09-2011 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saskia (Post 1226570)
I've moved around a bit and that is why I don't have a horse right now. I'm from Australia and I really wanted to travel, but in the last year I have traveled half of Australia, seen some more of Asia, and am now traveling Europe, all while studying full time, and its wonderful. Definitely something I'll never regret.

But saying that traveling isn't as important to me now. I've learned about what I think is important and traveling, while good, isn't it.

The thing is, you don't know if you'll like traveling. You don't know if you'll like college, you don't know if you'll like being a nurse. You don't know it you'll end up falling in love and getting married. You're only in high school, you have no idea what your future will bring. It's great to have plans and dreams, they give you direction, but don't worry about it now. Graduate nursing school and then decide what you want to do.

I fully recommend you take 6 months or a year and travel, maybe Europe, Asia, see some of the world. What I've learned though, is that pretty much everywhere is the same. It looks different, the people look different, speak other languages and there are always going to be cultural differences. But everyone has to get up and go to work everyday, they gossip about guys, fall in love, get annoyed at their parents, have dinner with their friends. After being somewhere for a few weeks it feels so normal, so the same as where ever.

Give traveling nursing a go by all means, but I wouldn't sink my entire hopes and dreams into it. I'd recommend working and go traveling properly, not just moving around every few months. Then decide what you want. You can always go to riding schools or whatever, but I think that it is much too expensive and difficult moving that often with a horse. See what life brings you.

You made really great points. Thanks! I've always been a planner and I write notes all day. I talked to my mom about my college plans yesterday and I'm pretty sure I wont even be taking a year off anymore. So things do change. :-) My main goal right now is to graduate nursing school and improve my horsemanship, I will keep it at that.

That's another thing I worried about a little. The 3 months that I would have to be there. I would rather it be for a month.