The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   In Between Farrier Visit Hoof Upkeep (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/between-farrier-visit-hoof-upkeep-102856/)

sarahkgamble 11-08-2011 03:41 PM

In Between Farrier Visit Hoof Upkeep

Hey all!

I was just wondering what everyone's hoof upkeep routines are for their beloved equines in between farrier visits?

kait18 11-08-2011 03:51 PM

i don't keep shoes on mine but i just pick clean there hooves. i also learned how to trim the bad flares so i can do a quick fix in between visits

Speed Racer 11-08-2011 03:56 PM

Pick 'em out on a regular basis, and the rest of the time leave 'em the heck alone.

~*~anebel~*~ 11-08-2011 03:59 PM

If you are needing to do upkeep between farrier visits then you should probably increase the frequency of them. 6 to 8 weeks is a guideline and should be adjusted to your horse. Mine gets a trim and reset every 4 to 5. Some horses can be left for up to 10 weeks over winter.
Posted via Mobile Device

sarahkgamble 11-08-2011 04:21 PM

Picking is a no brainer and I also use hoof oil. I was just wondering what else there may be! Haha.

wild_spot 11-08-2011 06:24 PM

Personally I have my own trimming gear and hoof stand and do a conservative trim every few weeks, and touch ups in between if needed. It means I only need my trimmer ever couple of months and he does anything more aggressive that needs doing and makes sure I'm on the right track.

Aside from picking out occasionally, that's it. No oils or anything.
Posted via Mobile Device

sarahkgamble 11-08-2011 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wild_spot (Post 1226851)
Personally I have my own trimming gear and hoof stand and do a conservative trim every few weeks, and touch ups in between if needed. It means I only need my trimmer ever couple of months and he does anything more aggressive that needs doing and makes sure I'm on the right track.

Aside from picking out occasionally, that's it. No oils or anything.
Posted via Mobile Device

I wish I had the tools and knowledge to do that, it would certainly save some money over time! And his feet could look great ALL the time. :)

SarahAnn 11-08-2011 08:10 PM

My farrier thinks I am crazy because I ask questions constantly and watch veeeerrrryyy carefully. What he doesn't know is that I'm planning on learning to do it myself... Eventually.

I pick their hooves every day when I bring them in for the night.
Posted via Mobile Device

caseymyhorserocks 11-09-2011 10:06 PM

I hoof pick daily, and I do a gentle rasp and mustang roll on Casey's hooves weekly. She gets a visit about every 12-15 weeks from the farrior, she is out 24/7 and ridden on hard ground, so her hooves are worn down often. She is barefoot.

Courtney 11-11-2011 04:57 PM

I pick hooves at least 4 times a week (whenever I'm out there) and I use a stiff brush to clean the exterior of her hooves. The brush keeps her hooves shiny and clean and I have this half-baked theory that it helps stimulate circulation. I figure if scalp massages can promote healthy scalps, perhaps coronet/hoof brushing can promote healthier hooves.