The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Learning how to communicate (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/learning-how-communicate-102873/)

Erfellie 11-08-2011 08:00 PM

Learning how to communicate

I have had my mare for nearly 5 years now and am entirely self taught on the matter of horses. Unlike many fortunate people I wasnt born with horse sense or grew up in a horse family so I didnt have much to learn from. Lately I have been reading/posting on this forum, watching several training videos, and reading lots of books and I finally feel like I am learning how to speak horse :) Why didnt I do this 5 years ago? I dont know. But man, does it feel good to learn. I had a breakthrough today that really just made my whole day happy and now I am thinking to myself, "Why didnt I figure that out sooner?" It was such a simple solution but I always overlooked it and ended up frustrated all too often. I just want to say Thank you to all of those on my forum posts who have given me helpful advise :-P

Skyseternalangel 11-09-2011 04:59 PM

I'm in the same boat.. I can't get enough of reading up on training techniques then trying the ones that make most sense with my horse. Even making some up as I go along seems to work. I definitely want to say thank you to everyone as well.

I'm so glad things are clicking for you!!! It feels wonderful doesn't it? :)

kait18 11-09-2011 05:02 PM

its so very true... i know i feel the same way. thank you :)

bubba13 11-09-2011 05:13 PM

The best thing you can do is hang out with good riders/trainers....and observe.

Skyseternalangel 11-09-2011 05:16 PM

That and watching horses interact in their herd.. it's very interesting

kevinshorses 11-09-2011 05:26 PM

If you learn the principles of good horsemanship then you can solve any problem that comes up. Like learning to play an instrument. You don't learn to play every song, you learn to play the notes and read the music and then you can play any song you want. So many people with horses want to learn how to play the song without learning to read music or play the notes. If they work at it enough they will eventually learn THAT song but then they have to start over on the next one. It's far better to get the foundation down and understand how things work than to try to force your way through it.