The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   chloe coliced =[ (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/chloe-coliced-%3D%5B-10306/)

saraequestrian 06-18-2008 12:16 PM

chloe coliced =[

So Monday I came to the barn at around 8:45 PM to see my horse down. I was all like aww and I went to sit next to her head and my mom was watching us from outside my stall. Then she started to have bad gas and she kept looking at her stomach. I start to get worried so I go to the other side of her belly (where there are no legs) and listened for gut movement. Nothing. Then she tried to roll. So I start freaking out and my mom runs to call the vet and I struggle to get her to her feet. After about five minutes we're in the arena walking. She was doing fine, besides the fact she looked very sick, for about two minutes. Then she wanted to roll again. She'd buckle her joints and I'd yank on the lead rope, she'd stand up straight and thrash out a front hoof in protest (I'd be all over her butt for that if it was in some other situation). We did this for about 5 minutes and then i finally got her walking again. She seemed to be doing better, she was getting more perky and more herself by the minute. Then the vet arrives. I'll try to give you the diagnose but sometimes vet talk is another language ahha. She had an impaction and the type of colic she had was a gas colic. She had a back up between two different substances, one was light, one was heavy so it could've twisted easily. The vet made us stay the night to make sure she didn't twist.. if she did... it was put her down or 10,000 surgery. I stayed up with her pretty much all night. She had about 6 bowel movements so she got about 6 flakes of hay during the night. No signs of pain =]. She finally went to sleep around 3:30 AM and so I decided to too. Woke up at 6:00 AM, still the same. The vets came out yesterday and everything inside her was normal. =] She got 1/2 her usual grain this morning. I'm about to leave and turn her out on the grass with the rest of the girls. I'm slowly weaning her back on it even though she's only been in for a few days... we think she had TOO MUCH grass, and that's why she got sick... so I'm monitoring her grass intake for a little while.

First horse... first colic. blehhh

CaEcho 06-18-2008 01:01 PM

Whew, close call there. So glad you were there to catch everything in time.

Good mommy! I hope thats your last scare.

barefoothooves 06-18-2008 01:36 PM

Those crazy horses. They always find a way to make you panic, don't they? Glad she's okay now!

buckaroo2010 06-18-2008 02:23 PM

I can imaging the worry you were in good thing you still got the vet out there and didnt take a chance in waiting :)

Dumas'_Grrrl 06-18-2008 03:54 PM

ARGH!!! I just went through the same thing about a month ago with Dumas. :shock:

First off I'm glad she's ok! Good job on catching her and getting her up. That is a challenge all in itself! We decided that Dumas got too much grass too.

I'd offer you a cookie for the good job, but I think I'll offer a super comfy pillow for a well deserved nap! :wink:

saraequestrian 06-18-2008 08:52 PM

haha thanks guys.

yes i'm deffinately sleep deprived. I had to wake up early today too to go out and make sure she was well enough to have some grain, which she was.

It's starting to catch up to me now

zzzz

hahah

PoptartShop 06-18-2008 09:28 PM

Oh wow, I'm so glad she turned out to be okay...whew! :D You deff. got lucky. Kudos to you on being on the ball!

jazzyrider 06-19-2008 07:13 PM

im glad shes ok now :) now you go get some sleep ;)