The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Tack and Equipment Classifieds (http://www.horseforum.com/tack-equipment-classifieds/)
-   -   best way to ship saddle ? (http://www.horseforum.com/tack-equipment-classifieds/best-way-ship-saddle-103186/)

Joe4d 11-11-2011 09:01 PM

best way to ship saddle ?

Anybody figured out a decent way to ship a saddle ? Recently ran into an issue with this. Even a lightweight synthetic was $70 shipping at the post office and a UPS store.

MHFoundation Quarters 11-11-2011 09:23 PM

I recently shipped my first, it was an english saddle though. Cost me $17 bucks for standard at the post office.

waresbear 11-11-2011 09:24 PM

Having purchased 3 saddles off ebay, the post office is the cheapest, by far.

Saddlebag 11-11-2011 09:34 PM

The post office goes by weight and size so the trick is to find a box, or cut one down, that's a close fit. I've shipped many by regular mail and just put bubblewrap on the horn. Stirrups and fenders are crisscrossed underneath, skirts tucked down. The box is marked with up arrows so the saddle ships as tho it was on a horse. It's more expensive shipping across the international border as it seems it has to go priority. I used to use the old parcel post that took about a month, insured but a lot cheaper.

Joe4d 11-11-2011 09:41 PM

I used the online post office calculater, saddle weighs about 19 lbs so figured 24 for packing and the box and it only gave me one option at $67 ? Something aint right here.

Thats what the post office In MS quoted as well to go to VA.

kitten_Val 11-11-2011 10:39 PM

UPS was the cheapest for me (I shipped English saddles couple times). Yes, USPS seemed to be more expensive than UPS and FedEx. I think it depends a lot on size of the box and weight. After certain limits USPS is not the cheapest anymore.

churumbeque 11-11-2011 10:46 PM

it can depend on where you are shipping to. You are way on the east coast so distance and if it is an odd location can dictate the price

COWCHICK77 11-11-2011 10:52 PM

50 Attachment(s)
I have shipped several saddles weighing almost 50 lbs. UPS has done it for me between $50 and $70 for ground? Guys that I know who custom make saddles and ship them out use UPS ground. UPS 3 day ran about $75. But it also depends on where you are shipping to and from. Wrap the saddle in canvas then heavy plastic( heavy duty garbage bags) and put something on the horn, sheepskin or bubblewrap. When shipping lay it on its side. Laying it as if it were on a horse without any support may set it up for a broken tree. When I travel with my saddles in a back of a pickup I lay them on their sides. Some people tip them up on their fork and horn but depending on the style of your saddle if ruins the front of your skirts.

nicole25 11-12-2011 01:04 AM

I shipped an english saddle over the summer. It was about 23 dollars for shipping. I put in it a box that was snug with some bubble wrap. I used UPS. I had the saddle tipped as if it was resting on the cantle like if it was leaning against something.

paintedpastures 11-12-2011 02:45 AM

I bought a saddle from the states it was sent UPS. The seller got a quote from them think was about $ 60-70 , I thought rate was reasonable. well at this end I did get my saddle nice condition hand delivered to door but had to sign & pay almost $200:shock: seems the broker fees etc.Highway robbery IMO.{good thing I got my saddle for a good price to begin with:-)}Will never agree to get anything shipped by them again!!!