The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   my horse wont let ANYONE touch her hooves! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/my-horse-wont-let-anyone-touch-103208/)

sierradennison 11-12-2011 12:08 AM

my horse wont let ANYONE touch her hooves!

please, someone help, my horse will not let anyone touch her feet, if you pick one up, thats if by chance you can get her to lift it, she doesnt kick, but it takes all you have to hang onto it, she shakes it ad rips it out of your hands. needless to say she needs her feet done bad, and i can not even get a farrier to touch her! does anyone have any experience with this, if so what did you do to correct it, i though of using some sort of sedative, but she is bred(i did not breed her, i bought her in aug and she was already bred) so i do not know if such things like that calm and cool paste would affect her or not. please help!

bubba13 11-12-2011 12:22 AM

Just practice with desensitizing. Some farriers may be willing to work with her for a training fee. It also helps to grab the hoof and flex the fetlock joint, bending the pastern in, so that they have more difficulty pulling away.

paddlefoot 11-12-2011 06:30 PM

I've used clicker training to do behavioral training for older horses to picking up hooves. It's really effective and even novice horse owners find it easy. Horses like it because of the treats, lol.

Here's a video I found that shows you how to do it, I'm sure you don't have to move as slowly or as quickly in the video. Go by whatever level your horse is at. Although in my experience the horse usually understands the "game" in about 5 or 6 successful pick ups.

I've found that horses that give trouble with the front hooves don't fight as much with the hind ones.

I hope you can get the hooves done ASAP!