The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Horse keeps losing weight (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/horse-keeps-losing-weight-10323/)

chewbooeh 06-18-2008 09:32 PM

Horse keeps losing weight

Well, the title basically explain it. My horse continues to lose weight. Not worms. Not her teeth. I've put her on a weight gain supplement. No matter how much I feed her, her ribs are becoming more pronounced daily.
I figured I'd ask some other horse people before calling out the vet, especially since I'm a limited income.

buckaroo2010 06-18-2008 09:48 PM

Have you tried adding beet pulp to her grain? is she getitng hay and grass from her pasture?

jazzyrider 06-19-2008 12:35 AM

can you tell us what you are feeding her at the moment and how much she is being exercised?

sempre_cantando 06-19-2008 04:57 AM

Could it be a stomach ulcer? Or possibly even cancer? I'm not a vet, but I know these two diseases can cause weight loss. Hard to say without having more info. How old is she? It does sound strange that she keeps losing weight - definately have it checked out by the vet.

mudypony 06-19-2008 10:04 AM

First off I need to know what are you feeding her currently? Does she get any grain? Is she on freechoice hay and/or grass?

If she is not on freechoice hay and/or grass I would start immediately. Also, I would suggest giving her beetpulp like suggested above or using cocosoya oil. That is what I give my TB who is a hard keeper and it helped him gain weight and then keep the weight on in just a short time.

If nothing seems to help her gain weight I would seriously consider getting the vet out there immediately. As this could be something much more serious than just weight loss.

Good luck with her horse and I hope she starts gaining weight soon.

Ryle 06-19-2008 11:23 AM

Yep, it helps to know exactly what you are feeding right now before we can make suggestions. If you can tell us how much your horse should weigh and what you are feedingb (by weight) it would be great.

My2Geldings 06-19-2008 02:19 PM

Re: Horse keeps losing weight

Quote:

Originally Posted by chewbooeh
Well, the title basically explain it. My horse continues to lose weight. Not worms. Not her teeth. I've put her on a weight gain supplement. No matter how much I feed her, her ribs are becoming more pronounced daily.
I figured I'd ask some other horse people before calling out the vet, especially since I'm a limited income.

It is difficult when financially you are in a bind BUT from what you posted I don't think there is anything else you can do on your own. I would get a vet out ASAP.

Abby 06-19-2008 11:30 PM

If you are feeding her on gritty or sandy ground, her hay, anything, she could have sand in her intestines. Not only does she risk sand colic, but it makes weight gaining and maintaining greatly difficult.

Sand clear will take care of it if it is.

carriedenaee 06-20-2008 08:55 AM

I have a horse that looses weight too...im not sayin it is the same thing as your horse...but i put him on a weight gain supplement...he doesnt get stalled so he eats hay and grass as he pleases....but the vet said that if i uped his food with a supplement i need to make sure to up his excercise as well...he is just a trail horse so doesnt get rode everyday...but once i started riding him after uping his food, he put on some muscle and filled on out the rest of the way

he described it as they can get to a certain weight and without adequite excercise,they dont gain anymore, they just kind of sit at that weight
i dont know..im no expert at that thing!