The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Whats the difference? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/whats-difference-103233/)

polkadotsx 11-12-2011 04:00 PM

Whats the difference?

Hi, I am really excited to say, that after alot of begging and research, I am allowed to do horse lessons! :D I am so excited! I will be starting after christmas, so I have plently of time to save, and.... I have money for 2 lessons already. :D

My instructor said she does english horseback riding, and I was just wondering what the difference was?

Thanks! :D

Spyder 11-12-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polkadotsx (Post 1231086)
My instructor said she does english horseback riding, and I was just wondering what the difference was?

Thanks! :D

Basic non descript that can be good or bad. Many are bad.

jinxremoving 11-12-2011 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyder (Post 1231105)
Basic non descript that can be good or bad. Many are bad.

I disagree. I've communicated with probably 12 barns in the last two years and not one I would even give a 5 out of 10 for customer service - even though some were amazing barns! I always have to pry information out of them, they are very vague on everything and it drives me up the friggin' wall. I don't know if it's a regional thing or what, but horse riding has to be one of the few industries where the owner can run a business with no customer service, charge $600+ a month and know everyone will be back next month only due to their passion to ride.

jinxremoving 11-12-2011 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polkadotsx (Post 1231086)

Most people will teach either english or western. What are you goals for riding? Do you want to jump? Do you want to pole bend? Barrel racing? Dressage? Trail ride with no ambition to compete?

Allison Finch 11-12-2011 07:08 PM

WELCOME to the forum!!

Yes, I believe that was what the barn was addressing...whether you wanted to train in western disciplines or english. When you decide which, then it is time to decide which of the english or western disciplines you want to pursue.

Once the decision is made, you can call the various barns in your area and find out which are going the route you want. Then, go to all of the ones who will fall in your category that are within reasonable driving distance.

Then you should go and watch some lessons being taught. Find the instructor, out of all the barns near you, that you feel you will enjoy taking lessons from the most. Talk with the instructor and the other students to get a good feel of the overall "atmosphere" of the barn and the learning environment.

Good luck with all of these decisions! I'm glad to see you are going forward.

Ray MacDonald 11-12-2011 07:23 PM

Great post Allison :) Subbing for any other questions needing answers! Yes, welcome to the forum!! And congrats on the lessons!

Spyder 11-12-2011 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinxremoving (Post 1231196)
I disagree. I've communicated with probably 12 barns in the last two years and not one I would even give a 5 out of 10 for customer service - even though some were amazing barns! I always have to pry information out of them, they are very vague on everything and it drives me up the friggin' wall. I don't know if it's a regional thing or what, but horse riding has to be one of the few industries where the owner can run a business with no customer service, charge $600+ a month and know everyone will be back next month only due to their passion to ride.

Thanks for AGREEING with me.

jinxremoving 11-12-2011 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyder (Post 1231244)
Thanks for AGREEING with me.

LOL! I guess I was agreeing with you, sorry. :)

tinyliny 11-12-2011 07:51 PM

Welcome to the forum. I agree that since lessons are really expensive, take some time and observe some lessons first to see which instructor you like the best. YOu can even learn some basic information by just watching for awhile. Then when you do get there and get in the saddle, you may know a little of what the instructor is talking about. It's really important that the instructor is easy to understnad and very positive in their outlook. So, observe several before deciding.

We hope you will share aobut how it goes when the time comes.

polkadotsx 11-12-2011 07:52 PM

:DSpyder: My second cousin has a horses, (some are rescues) and she trains them and such. She goes to this barn and is very close with the people who work there. She recommended me to go tot his barn and I trust her opinion :D

jinxremoving: What kind of questions should I ask? :oops: Im REALLY new at this..
as for goals and such..Im not to sure, I would like to jump, and try a few shows. Pole bend, Barrel racing and dressage? uhmm... ? I dont know what that is :lol: :D

Allison Finch: Thank you very muchh!!! :D Ive looked into western, and I think I like english :)
My second cousin, (the one who has horses) said she would be happy to meet me at the barn and introduce me to one of her friends who work there, and then give me a tour. Which, I will do and watch some lessons :D I will email and ask some questions, but what should I be looking for? (i.e=what do i need to know? and what would be a reasonable anwser?)

Ray MacDonald: Thanks, Im very excited to start!

Thank you all for your replys, very helpful! :D