The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Anyone have a pasture-vac? (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/anyone-have-pasture-vac-103266/)

KatieQ 11-12-2011 10:57 PM

Anyone have a pasture-vac?

Does anyone here have a pasture-vac? If so, what make, what did you pay for it and what are the downfalls, etc.?

KatieQ 11-13-2011 09:41 AM

bumping

Saddlebag 11-13-2011 07:04 PM

They are pricey. A much cheaper alternative is to drag an old box spring behind a mower or quad to scatter the manure so it can dry, then a few days later use a riding mower with twin baggers on behind. Set the mower deck as low as you safely can and it will pick up a lot of the dry manure. The box spring is free and if you have a riding mower the bag attacment is under $500. I think the pasture vacs run close to $2000

Tianimalz 11-13-2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1232008)
They are pricey. A much cheaper alternative is to drag an old box spring behind a mower or quad to scatter the manure so it can dry, then a few days later use a riding mower with twin baggers on behind. Set the mower deck as low as you safely can and it will pick up a lot of the dry manure. The box spring is free and if you have a riding mower the bag attacment is under $500. I think the pasture vacs run close to $2000

That is a great idea....

Jeez why didn't I think of that sooner?! Here I was spreading my pasture all by hand with a rake!! :evil:

I officially love you :lol:

KatieQ 11-13-2011 08:55 PM

That's not a bad idea, but here it is very wet for much of the year so I don't know if it would work. I was considering starting a business, and charging people a monthly fee to come in and vaccuum their pasture. Then I could also sell the manure, or if they want to keep it themselves just charge a bit more. I'm wondering if this sounds like a viable idea?

Delfina 11-13-2011 09:03 PM

I don't know of anyone that would want to BUY manure. Around here, everyone and their brother is trying to give it away before they end up paying someone to haul it off.

KatieQ 11-13-2011 09:19 PM

Oh that's weird- here I have people waiting in line to buy it and could sell as much as I could get hold of.

gigem88 11-13-2011 09:22 PM

Hahahaha....I've heard of those. But, I have enough trouble vacuuming my house, much less my pasture!

hobbyhorse 11-13-2011 09:37 PM

I currently compost the manure and my co-workers come out and fill up their trash cans and use it for their gardens. If I bag it for them I charge a $1.00 a bag. They choose to bring their own shovels. My supply is still piling up faster than they can shovel.

KatieQ 11-13-2011 09:47 PM

Where I live gardening is a local passion, and people can't get enough of the stuff. I don't even compost it- just pile it by the driveway and they come in and pick it up themselves for $20. a truckload. My pile disappears weekly, and I have only told a few people so far. I could also sell it in bulk to the local garden center.