The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Thrush (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/thrush-10328/)

Jubilee Rose 06-18-2008 11:36 PM

Thrush

Jubilee currently has mud fever on her white sock. Well the other day when my trainer came to look at her for the first time, she picked up her white sock and said she smelt thrush. :? Also, she said on her front hooves, the tips of white along the bottom also indicate thrush. She suggested scrubbing bleach into her frog. If I keep her feet clean and do this, will it go away?? How long do you think it could take? And is this serious? My trainer didn't seem to think it was that bad. And she's not oozing pus or anything.

BTW, our fields are extremely muddy right now and she's on 24/hr turnout. There's no way the BO will let me bring her in at night either. Jubilee is prone to mud fever and also rain rot. Her mud fever was worse this fall. Now she only has it on the white sock and she doesn't have rain rot. But now, thrush as well. Yay. .... :? Her mud fever isn't bad. We're treating it and its getting better. She's ouchy with it when I initially touch where the mud fever is, but she's not lame or anything. Regardless, I'm still a bit worried about this thrush. The mud fever was under control but now I have to deal with this ...

Please help!

SonnyWimps 06-18-2008 11:56 PM

bleach will kill thursh, but it will also kill the good cells on the frog....same for any "thrush" medicine. My farrier swears by applying a topical treatment for Mastitis in cows on the hoof once a week and that will help with thursh.

I use it for Sonny and though I've only used it once I did notice a good improvement. The normal thrush smell that I'd smell when cleaning out Sonny's feet was gone in all but one foot (the one that had it the worst) but it did look alot better.
Tractor Supply sells it in their livestock section...it's called Dry-(can't remeber the last word for it). It comes in a white box with 12 suringes in it and costs about $14. So far I am pleased with it

Also my farrier recommended every day apply a Apple Cider Vinager/water mix (50-50 dilution) on the hooves. It will change the PH of the hoof making thrush not able to grow more (but it WON"T kill the thrush that is already there).

With the fields are extremely muddy more than likely she'll have thrush until the pastures dry out. Depending on where you live, more than likely Jubilee could have thrush all summer long.

Thursh lives in the moist areas...cleaning her hooves everyday, letting her be able to stand on a dry spot (not meaning a stall...just any random dry spot), and applying the Apple Cider Vinager solution will help keep thrush away, but if the pasture is always muddy, the thrush may come back.

Also, make sure it's just mud and NOT horse poop...that will cause thrush to grow.

Good luck with Jubilee...me and Sonny are going through the same thing! Keep us updated

SonnyWimps 06-18-2008 11:58 PM

also, wanted to add, it can take days, weeks, or months for the thrush to go away...every case is different.

I'd say talk to your farrier about it and get his/her opinion on how bad the thrush is...I thought Sonny had thrush really bad but when my farrier looked at it, he said it wasn't bad at all. The smell of thrush makes it all seem worse than it is. As long as there is no pus, blood, or anything REALLY abnormal about the frog then I wouldn't worry too too much.

Jubilee Rose 06-19-2008 11:03 AM

Sonny, thanks so much. I will have to get my farrier to come look it over as soon as I can. As for the mud, it does dry up here, so in the dead of summer, she should be fine. It's just been raining so much here the past couple weeks, thats why its so muddy.

Thanks again. And good luck with Sonny as well. :)

appylover31803 06-19-2008 12:05 PM

I have used Koppertox on my horses when they had Thrush. It comes in a white bottle, sold at tack stores.

It does smell bad and will stain clothes and fingers (with the fingers it comes off after a few good scrubs with warm water and soap. I don't know about clothes because it got on my shoes)

Don't let it get on their hair as the bottle says it can be painful. I also used an applicator brush to get it good in the crevices. When Gem had a bad case, it took about a month or so for it to clear up with weekly applications of Koppertox. Vega's cleared up in a few days.

SonnyWimps 06-19-2008 06:50 PM

an update for the mastitis...DEFINATELY get this hehe. I applied it on Sonny's feet on Sunday...and now all signs of thrush is gone....I only put one treatment on his feet. It works really well

dynamite. 06-22-2008 11:20 AM

My horse has thrush too, so thanks for the tips everyone lol.

moomoo 06-22-2008 11:50 AM

Purple spray will do the trick :wink: