The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Cow Hopping Horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/cow-hopping-horse-103297/)

Shadow Puppet 11-13-2011 01:34 PM

Cow Hopping Horse

My horse cow hops on a regular basis and I have no clue how to stop it... She does it mostly if I get her to do something she doesn't want to do. I am terrified of my horse and that makes her worse. She had been vetted and checked out and she's not hurting. I am just going to say this now, I WILL NOT SELL THIS HORSE. I have a specail kind of movie romantic horse and rider bond with her she is my best friend and I will not sell her. But any tips on how to stop cow hopping would be great. Thanks

natisha 11-13-2011 02:22 PM

Hmmmn, I'm not terrified of my best friend.
Do you mean 'crow hopping'?
Sorry, I have no advice for you but good luck..

ShinaKonga 11-13-2011 05:05 PM

My gelding is a tester, and has crow hopped with me quite a few times to see what he can get away with. I had a similar problem- I was deathly afraid of riding. My trainer/lesson giver that I lived with for a several months made me ride every day, and wouldn't let either me or Milo quit until we were both relaxed. In the beginning, those were some long lessons for the both of us :lol: Now if he crow hops, he gets a swift smack on the ass and spun in a tight circle, and it seems to be working for us.
Any further advice I can give you, though, is to find somebody to give you lessons, who can see you from the ground and coach you on training. It helped a lot for me.

OwnedByAlli 11-13-2011 05:15 PM

just a quick question... What is crow hopping? :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

natisha 11-13-2011 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OwnedByAlli (Post 1231886)
just a quick question... What is crow hopping? :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

It's a kind of buck where they round their backs & do a small 4 legged jump usually while still moving forward. It's called crow hopping because it looks much like what a crow does on the ground.

kevinshorses 11-13-2011 08:40 PM

My first advice would be to become less terrified of your horse. If your terrified then you won't have the mental capacity to do anything but hang on. The other advice would be to forget about your disney movie bond and start treating this horse like a horse instead of a really bad best friend.

Northern 11-13-2011 08:54 PM

I thought crow hopping was NOT all fours off ground at once, but alternating front feet then back feet while moving forward. Not that the pattern of the unharmonious behaviour is the issue:

I second what Kevin said, caveat that the horse isn't a "bad" best friend, he's just doing his horse thing, according to his innate "horsenality", & he will become a real partner to you when you gain savvy to be his real leader.

You're right to be scared of getting on him at this point; any teacher should be keeping you off him & having you gain skill & confidence on ground first! (you could get seriously hurt!) I recommend Parelli 7 Games groundwork dvd, for starters. Your horse will look at you with new, respectful & pleased eyes once you've mastered the 7 Games with him.

kevinshorses 11-13-2011 09:02 PM

Don't drink the cool aid!!!

Skyseternalangel 11-13-2011 09:05 PM

Start with ground work.. leading, lunging, etc. Get respect from your horse and get your confidence up. It's okay to be nervous but BREATHE and power through it.. once you get these games stopped, you and your horse will have much nicer rides. But the crow hopping is a game (so long as you ruled out pain) and you need to win at it.

Northern 11-13-2011 09:10 PM

Now, Kevin, do you think that this brand-new kid needs that, since you know darn well that she doesn't know what you're talking about?!

You'd recommend that she keep getting on this horse, from her description of her own fear & lack of skill to prevent his antics?

Your advice included no "how", Kevin. We're waiting for the "how".