The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   The best way to getting his butt in there! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/best-way-getting-his-butt-there-103310/)

ichliebepferde 11-13-2011 06:00 PM

The best way to getting his butt in there!

I am going to work with my horse on getting him into the trailer today. Which he doesn't like to do. So. What is the BEST way to go about this?

BornToRun 11-13-2011 06:06 PM

well... the first time I tired to get my horse in the trailer I tried walking him right on - no go. So I packed the front end with all the stuff he likes and sat there with a book for two hours, got him halfway in. The last time, we got a trailer without a ramp, backed up to the chute of of the barn and he walked right on. I also find it helps with you ride first, so as to get them thinking, but that's just a suggestion.

kait18 11-13-2011 06:08 PM

checkout the other threads in training about trailers. it there are 2-3 within the last 2 weeks or so with great info

Idlepastures 11-13-2011 06:10 PM

My rescue pony *hated* the trailer when we got him. So my trainer worked with him for a month. During the day he was in his stall, but at night and feedings he was in a round pen with the trailer backed up to the round pen. She started with the bucket at the back of the trailer, and every few days she would move the bucket a few steps into the trailer. We did this for a month, and it worked. Now I have to keep the trailer door closed, other wise he just stands in it.

When I got my newest horses, neither of them really like the small straight load play day we had t the barn. So I did the same with them over a week. (Didn't really *need* them in it, just so they wouldn't freak.) They were willing to walk into it, but didn't want to stay.

maura 11-13-2011 06:12 PM

Ground work away from the trailer.

If you have a really good handle on your horse on the ground, and he's well and truly halter broke, loading in a trailer shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Other best practices are 1.) have the trailer very well secured and chocked so it's steady when he steps on 2.) have grain and/or carrots ready as a reward 3.) allow plently of time to get him to load the right way without rushing. 4.) Have all the doors, windows, partitions, etc, on the trailer open so the trailer looks as bright and airy as possible. 5.) Have an agile and experienced friend around to help you.

Pretty much all of the natural horsemanship people and any trainer that has a DVD out covers the ground work and loading in a trailer, and the basic concepts are all the same.

equiniphile 11-13-2011 06:16 PM

When I first introduced my yearlings to the trailer, I had tied them to it one at a time for grooming every day for a week. After grooming by it for a week, I untied them and just walked them right in like they knew how to load (one at a time, obviously!). Latte walked right in with me, and Frappe hesitated at first but followed me in with a gentle tug on her lead.

The reason everything went without fireworks? Groundwork was firmly established, the trailer itself was not a new concept, and I didn't act like it was a big deal. Compare it to backing a horse for the first time. If all the groundwork is established first and you've taken things slowly, there shouldn't be any fireworks when you take the next step and swing your leg over. Same goes for trailering.