The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   New horse dead to leg aids. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/new-horse-dead-leg-aids-103339/)

BLAZERIVERSONG 11-13-2011 10:36 PM

New horse dead to leg aids.

I just brought a new horse on the weekend and he seems to be dead with leg aids. The old owner used spurs to get him to move forward. I was wondering if anyone has some tips how I can get him to become responsive to leg aids rather than using spurs . Thanks heaps in advance :)

AmazinCaucasian 11-13-2011 10:40 PM

ask lightly with legs, then spank on the butt

Dreamcatcher Arabians 11-13-2011 10:45 PM

Request with a light leg, Ask with a whip on the butt, then demand with a pair of strong spurs & a whip on the butt. Keep doing it until he learns the sequence and pretty soon he'll get lighter.

Skyseternalangel 11-14-2011 01:19 AM

That or you could incorporate re-teaching light aids on the ground.

cowpony09 11-14-2011 02:15 AM

Start with ques from the ground using your hands or the but of whip. Once your horse becomes familar with these try them with your legs from the saddle.

kittersrox 11-14-2011 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmazinCaucasian (Post 1232207)
ask lightly with legs, then spank on the butt

When you spank the horse on the butt, what should you do if it takes off at a gallop? Bring him down to the gait you wanted, or just let him go so that he understands that I'm asking him to move forward? I'm dealing with this in my new horse too.:?

christopher 11-14-2011 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittersrox (Post 1233132)
When you spank the horse on the butt, what should you do if it takes off at a gallop? Bring him down to the gait you wanted, or just let him go so that he understands that I'm asking him to move forward? I'm dealing with this in my new horse too.:?

gallop

bubba13 11-14-2011 08:59 PM

Don't allow him to take off at a gallop. Keep a light hold of him and retain the gait you want.

OP, are you sure he's dead to leg aids and not spur-stopped?

AmazinCaucasian 11-14-2011 09:03 PM

OP, are you sure he's dead to leg aids and not spur-stopped?[/QUOTE]

good point

AmazinCaucasian 11-14-2011 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittersrox (Post 1233132)

Kittersrox, if you can ride well enough, I prefer to let them take off however fast they want. That way you don't discourage them from moving forward. At least let em go move free for several strides or so.