The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Stubben is a little too wide, will this help? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/stubben-little-too-wide-will-help-103350/)

Rachel1786 11-13-2011 10:58 PM

Stubben is a little too wide, will this help?

So as most of you know, I got a lovely used stubben for only $200, I've mainly been using it on the lesson horse who it fits fairly well and my friend used it on Bella last friday but I didn't really get a chance to see the fit up close, but Bella is fussy about saddle fit and didn't give any issues so I figured it was ok. Anyway today I went to the barn to finally rode my horse in my stubben, from the ground the fit seems pretty **** good(I forgot my camera so no pics yet, sorry) but when I got on it was sitting down on her withers pretty good, like I could barley get a finger underneath it. So clearly it's a little too wide for her. I got off as soon as I noticed and put my barn owners cashel pad(I think that's what it's called). It helped immensely but I don't like it because it's flat and I would prefer one that is shaped like the horse. So I'm thinking about this pad Roma ProTek Wither Relief Pad - Cushions & Wedges from SmartPak Equine or this Wintec Comfort Saddle Pad - Cushions & Wedges from SmartPak Equine or something similar, I know smartpak is a bit pricier then a lot of places, but i get free shipping with my supplements so unless there is one that works out to be cheaper even with shipping I'll probably get from them. Do you think padding it up will be ok since the saddle fits well everywhere but the gullet? I'm not even 100% sure that it's too wide I think it is but it may just be her high withers. I'll really really try to get pics on tuesday, but if I have to go back to work(I go on my extended lunch break lol) I probably won't have time.

kitten_Val 11-14-2011 02:23 PM

By wide you mean it sits low on front? Could you post some pics?

Rachel1786 11-14-2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 1232886)
By wide you mean it sits low on front? Could you post some pics?

Yes, the saddle fits well along the back but the gullet area is just a little too wide causing it to sit down on her withers. I will be going there tomorrow and will try my best to get some pics, lately when I go I've been strapped for time and don't have time to get pics. The pad that I used helped build it up enough that she had good wither clearance but it wasn't pinching. I just didn't like that it was flat so it was difficult to get it even and to stay where I wanted when putting the saddle on.

SaddleOnline 11-14-2011 08:04 PM

Just about any wither relief pad should do the trick if its just a hair too wide - just make sure the rest of the pad isn't so thick it negatively affects the fit elsewhere.