The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Jumping without stirrups - suicidal? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/jumping-without-stirrups-suicidal-103353/)

Gilly 11-14-2011 12:01 AM

Jumping without stirrups - suicidal?

Oh man I feel like I'm starting threads all over the place lately! Can you tell I'm keen to learn?

Along with my poor eyesight (see other thread) I have a problem with my right knee. The cartilage behind my kneecap is starting to soften and wear away. Physiotherapy is the only treatment option which I've done. When I first starting riding it hurt to have my knee bent with stirrups so I ditched them until my knee was stronger. I still have a problem with not putting enough weight in the right stirrup but that's something I'm working on.

One day I would really, really love to jump. I'm concerned hiking up my stirrups a few holes will hurt like hell but I think it'll help build up muscle and straighten everything up (apparently soft cartilage is caused by lack of muscle and crooked kneecap or something - walking with a limp for years and not putting weight on my knee was a bad decision). My biggest worry is going into the two-point position and having all my weight in the stirrup and my knee taking a battering and a half. I adore riding without stirrups because it doesn't hurt at all.

Is it possible to jump without stirrups? Or is it a death trap, particularly for an inexperienced rider? Naturally it'll only be baby fences and I'll have to learn to jump properly with stirrups first. Or do you eventually learn to not rely on your stirrups so much? Painkillers works wonders on my gammy knee so I'm not too concerned with the two-point crippling me after every ride.

Thanks for any advice :D

jumpingrules92 11-14-2011 12:12 AM

This is a girl that I know, and am friends with. Granted, she is a mini grand prix rider and rides like 6x a day and is amazing at 16..but you can jump with out them and in good form!

http://i43.tinypic.com/289wwi1.jpg

Gilly 11-14-2011 12:16 AM

Wow I am really impressed! Would you seasoned and wise folk suggest only doing baby fences stirrupless or could I ditch them all together once I get my two-point down pat?

Oh, and I will *certainly* be investing in a body protector if I ever jump stirrupless.

jumpingrules92 11-14-2011 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilly (Post 1232378)
Wow I am really impressed! Would you seasoned and wise folk suggest only doing baby fences stirrupless or could I ditch them all together once I get my two-point down pat?

Oh, and I will *certainly* be investing in a body protector if I ever jump stirrupless.

I would certainly work on your muscle tone on the flat first and your form with stirrups over fences, first. Once you can do that then you can move onto no stirrups and building more muscle on the flat and fences! Gotta get the foundation and then move up!

Gilly 11-14-2011 12:34 AM

Oh I certainly agree! I started riding again after a four year hiatus on June 1st and if I'm jumping by June next year I'll be chuffed!

Arksly 11-14-2011 12:41 AM

If shorter stirrups do cause a lot of pain/harm to your knee you could learn how to jump without stirrups. Now, I imagine it would be much harder and take longer but it could be done. If you don't want to shorten your stirrups do a lot of practice working on your seat without stirrups, then trotting poles, your two point and even cantering over poles.

Saskia 11-14-2011 06:29 PM

It can be done but I'd recommend your learn how to jump first. I'd hate you to get hurt because you didn't have a secure enough position yet.

My knees kill me after jumping, but I do it anyway. Just don't jump too often. I also bought stirrups that bent and they were better for me.

MIEventer 11-17-2011 12:47 PM

You can do it, if you learn to use your lower leg correctly. Solidifying your lower leg, heels and proper calf placement, you can jump anything with or without a saddle.

My little buddy, who is 13 years old just did a Jumper Show, and he did a 3'0" class bareback, the only one who did the class bareback, and he rocked it out.

It's all about your lower leg.

raywonk 11-17-2011 01:16 PM

you can do it just take it slow and do lots and lots of poles and eas your way up.

QHriderKE 11-17-2011 11:48 PM

Why don't you invest in a knee-brace? Not a crappy one. Like one of those with the metal supports? I have one that I used to get me through volleyball with my torn ACL. Riding doesn't bother me until I go and work my "arena" horse that I have to pretty much ride in a partial 2 point... western version. Yeah. Then, with most of my pressure on my knees, my injured one will start to ache. But I'll go and change into yoga pants, slap that knee brace on and my english boot styled muck boots and we're good to go.