The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   cant ride for 6 weeks due to surgery (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/cant-ride-6-weeks-due-surgery-103378/)

stacysills02 11-14-2011 01:13 PM

cant ride for 6 weeks due to surgery

im 23. i have a 4 year old appy. very good boy. i just had surgery. i had a ovairan cyst. they removed my right ovary and the cyst. But the dr told me i cant ride for 6 weeks or longer. my horse is in training but due to surgery i cant work either so i wont be able to pay for next months training. hed end up sitting there for like a month. should i try and get a friend to ride him for me. the only people who have ever rode him are me and the trainer. should i make some deal with the trainer so that he gets ridden? And has anyone had this surgery how long dose it take to you start feeling normal again?

crimson88 11-14-2011 01:25 PM

Never had a surgery but last spring I got thrown and broke my tail bone and couldn't ride for several months. Right now I have a severe bruise on my back side so I can't ride till that heals, lol. You never realize how much you want to ride till you get injured and can't, lol! I can't really give you any advise as too what you should do with your horse but I suppose you caoukd have a friend ride him. Just make sure they sign a waiver or something so they can't sue you if something happens, like they get injuried or something while riding him.

Idlepastures 11-14-2011 01:31 PM

If I were in your shoes, I'd try to talk to the trainer, and see if he/she would agree to just once a week riding. Then the rest of the time you can work on ground things or lunging, etc. I guess it would depends on how stable he is. Is he a good well rounded horse? (I know you said good boy.) Or is the trainer really working on things with him? If the trainer is just putting saddle time on him, then I think it would be ok to just do a weekly riding. Or do you have a close friend who you trust in riding? They could do a day a week, too.

mls 11-14-2011 02:19 PM

Could your friend take lessons with your trainer on your horse? Win-win-win.

With Grace 11-14-2011 07:28 PM

Can you lunge/ work on ground work? I'm having surgery end of February and wont be able to ride for a month. I've found lots of ground work exercises I will be working on instead as well as lunging.