The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Suitable Turnout Size (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/suitable-turnout-size-103406/)

caseymyhorserocks 11-14-2011 04:52 PM

Suitable Turnout Size

Ok so, for three years we have maintained Casey on 2 acres, 24/7 during summer, during day turnout but night stall in winter. We were hoping to keep her out 24/7 all this winter. We have roughly 2 and 1/3 acre right now. Now we have run into a much more serious problem. The pastures are just not growing, she is in her last pasture, which should last 1-2 weeks until we have to either shut her up in her stall for half of winter, or make a dry lot. :shock: She would go NUTS if locked up in her stall for a couple months, and that is completely out of the picture. So, there is this graveled area that leads to a small canvas area where we keep our raft, and barely any grass grows there, a little in the back, but not to much. We get a lot of rain in winter, and I think that would be perfect as it is graveled, and it won't get muddy, and we can't afford to get gravel (fall has a couple weeks to go). Heres the thing... It is roughly 110 feet by an average of 16 feet wide. Is that enough for her to exercise? In some areas it gets to be about 20 feet, and some 10, but stays about 16 feet wide for the most of it. Keep in mind, I measured with my feet/boots, and my boots are 10 1/2 inches long, so the area is probably more of 100 feet. She is ridden about 3-4 times a week, and I have kept her in a 30 by 30 area for a month with riding about 2 times a week, and she was pretty crazy and tore up the pasture a lot. I think this area should be fine, but I would love any more info... Her stall is 12 by 32, including the covered area and run. I would keep her in her stall when it rains relatively hard, and she would have a tree to go under in the run. Any opinions? I think I am going to try it out and see, I use electric fencing with removable posts, so I can move her. Thanks and sorry for the long paragraph!

caseymyhorserocks 11-14-2011 05:14 PM

Bump... No one?! Would really appreciate some help here.

Left Hand Percherons 11-14-2011 08:22 PM

That's more than enough. Horses learn to adapt and she'll probaby fuss at the start (she really wants the oportunity to graze) but she'll get over it. You've got to look at the bigger picture and if it's necessary for the long term health of the pastures, than it need to happen. If your pastures tend to get muddy in the winter, the horse will do more damage wondering out there than it's worth.

caseymyhorserocks 11-14-2011 09:58 PM

Thanks!

bubba13 11-14-2011 10:54 PM

She'll survive....but really, ideally, that is nowhere near the space a horse should have to roam. They also ought to have other equines for companionship.

caseymyhorserocks 11-15-2011 12:26 AM

Agreed, unfortunately that is the best we can do.