The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   APHA makes acceptions for non-eligible horses? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/apha-makes-acceptions-non-eligible-horses-103497/)

HollyJane 11-15-2011 12:56 PM

APHA makes acceptions for non-eligible horses?

I wondered if anyone knew anything about this. I herd that APHA has a quota for the amount of horses that get registered each year, and if they don't think they will make that quota, they accept horses for registry that aren't eligible. I was wondering if there was any validity to this?

bubba13 11-15-2011 12:59 PM

I sincerely, seriously doubt that. I'm gonna call it a big fat lie unless someone can provide irrefutable proof.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of the pinto horse registry?

HollyJane 11-15-2011 01:01 PM

Not just any random paint horse, mind you, but a horse that is by APHA parents and just never got DNA tested or something. Like horses that are out of APHA parents but the people wouldn't sign papers. Stuff like that. Sorry I didn't clarify!

nrhareiner 11-15-2011 01:41 PM

No I doubt that. I have talked to them about the one parent rule and talking a AQHA crop out and they will not even do that. Why would they take one with questionable parentage?

mls 11-15-2011 02:04 PM

I would think it's more likely that registration numbers are down so they are offering discounts for older horses that were never registered. AQHA has done the same thing.

nrhareiner 11-15-2011 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mls (Post 1234204)
I would think it's more likely that registration numbers are down so they are offering discounts for older horses that were never registered. AQHA has done the same thing.

That makes more seance then anything.

Kansas Spice Girl 01-02-2012 02:40 AM

APHA is actually doing an incentive right now, my solid paint mare is 13 and at this point in time it only cost around 265 for the registration fee, extra fees, and 2 DNA kits, to get her registered at this late age, because of the incentive. It usually would of cost 500 plus. Anyway I know they don't do this anymore, but in the early 1900's there were some non eligible grade horses accepted into the registry. You could have your horse evaluated to see if your horse was eligible. Of course these horses were of exceptional conformation, and disposition. I know this because way back on one of my horses papers a horse has "unreg." under its name, but its
offspring was registered APHA. I called the association, and that's what they told me!

bubba13 01-02-2012 05:38 PM

^ Because all associations had to start somewhere. The first animals may or may not have had documented bloodlines, but they certainly were not out of registered stock.

Kansas Spice Girl 01-02-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubba13 (Post 1290206)
^ Because all associations had to start somewhere. The first animals may or may not have had documented bloodlines, but they certainly were not out of registered stock.

that makes sense!