The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Two-Point question? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/two-point-question-10351/)

SonnyWimps 06-19-2008 07:56 PM

Two-Point question?

I taught myself jumping by reading stuff about it, watching other people do it, and watching the professionals, and I learned that way.
I can't say my form is the best, but it's not horrible either

My trainer yells at me because I don't raise up into two-point two strides before the horse actually takes the jump...Instead I go into two point when the horse starts to take the jump...

Which way is correct? I can't find myself even doing it two strides before the jump just cause I'm horrible at knowing how many strides are what...also the horse I ride for jumping (not Sonny) will occasionally overjump just for the sake of overjumping.

90% of the time I go up when the horse raises up...occasionally I miss it due to the horse severely overjumping. Also whenever someone is watching me jump to critique it, I always do horrible :(

jazzyrider 06-19-2008 08:52 PM

i think it depends on who you talk to. when i was taught i was taught to wait for the horse. but then at pony club they expect you in a two point a couple of strides before the jump.

ive also watched a few british videos on showjumping and they all seem to say to get into the two point before the jump.

so i dont really know all i know is that i do it how it works best for me which is just as the horse jumps. i think this is the more accepted way but once again it could be an opinion thing

SonnyWimps 06-19-2008 09:12 PM

I always read to wait for the horse, and I find it easier got me to keep a good form if I wait for the horse, but the trainer says I should do it the other way...but I can't...I tried, but just can't

saraequestrian 06-19-2008 10:45 PM

It depends. The general rule of thumb is to wait for the horse, if you know your timing.

If you are just learning, sometimes they have you go up a few strides before the jump so you get the feel for it without falling off.

two point is just balancing over the horse and some learn better if they're balanced like that.

SonnyWimps 06-19-2008 10:51 PM

it takes alot to make me fall lol not saying I have the best balance ever, just that I haven't fallen off while jumping yet (knock on wood)

Just the horse I jump with tends to run out if I go into two point before he takes off

brittx6x6 06-20-2008 10:17 AM

Normally when you first learn, you learn to go into 2 point 2-4 strides before the fence. Jazzyrider is right, that in pony club they expect you to be in 2point at least a stride before the fence for the lower levels (i was taught to jump through pc). Once you get used to counting your strides and seeing the distance it will be alot easier to go with the horse. Try putting 2 poles on the ground and canter at them and count your strides until the horse takes off. Make the stride what you want. Either hold your horse, push him/her, or keep him/her steady. This is a really easy way to see distances. :D

Stepher 06-20-2008 10:24 AM

When I started jumping i was taught to go into two point before the jump... but as I progressed I was taught to wait.
If you go into 2-point a few strides before the jump, you are no longer in contact with your horses back and you lose that communication - and if you put your hands up the neck then you no longer have contact with the bit; and as the jumps get higher and scarier your horse is more likely to run out as all of a sudden, your not there!

So when your instructor starts to yell at you just ask her 'why should i go into 2-point before the jump?'

moomoo 06-20-2008 10:24 AM

This is how I see it:

Imagine your horse as a seesaw, if you are in forwards position before take off, your weight is forward making it hard to bring the front of your horse (front of seesaw) up. So, if you sit normally until take off, your weight is at he back of the seesaw so the front end can go up :) Not sure if that made sense, but thats how i think of it :wink:

farmpony84 06-20-2008 10:42 AM

the thing about 2-point and jumping is that you sometimes will give the horse the cue to jump too soon or too late. I have a tendancy to "jump for the horse" which means I jump a stride or two before he's supposed to and then I get left behind. So what works for me is staying in the seat and closing my eyes so that the hosre gets to pick his own spots, I go into 2-point when he tells me to. It's not the right way to do things but it's what works for me.

SonnyWimps 06-20-2008 02:16 PM

the horse I ride for jumping, a 7 year old Paint gelding named Chewy, he's a great jumper, he has power and jumpers in his bloodline he literally just soars over jumps...butttt since one girl has been riding him, he is TOTALLY messed up...he won't take the jumps all the time like he used to, and he just is a sloppy jumper now...my friend and I trained him over jumps so we are quite mad about the whole ordeal. Here's a picture of me jumping...it's not the best but you can see my general position
http://www.horseforum.com/userpix/31...ping_007_1.jpg
That was me on a good jump lol (yes I am jumping in a western saddle...until he stops turning out at the last last minute I perfer to use it for my safety

So I dunno...I'll have to experiement with the jumps to see. He responds better to the way I do it so I'll probably just stick with it that way