The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Cutting and Team Penning (http://www.horseforum.com/cutting-team-penning/)
-   -   Too short? (http://www.horseforum.com/cutting-team-penning/too-short-103513/)

randomrider92 11-15-2011 04:03 PM

Too short?

Ok, so most of the time, I prefer a horse that is a little short when it comes to cow work. But hey, that's my opinion. There was a horse for sale that was 14.3 and the man was selling him because he thought he was too short for cutting. What do you guys thing? Also goes for team penning.

bubba13 11-15-2011 04:43 PM

Cutting horses are tiny. 14.0 hands is not unheard of.

Endiku 11-15-2011 04:52 PM

I learned to team pen on two different horses. A 16 hh Paint, and a 13.2hh Quarter Pony. Both were very nice for cutting or team penning, but I actually found that the Quarter Pony was easier to cut on because it was easier for her to make sharp turns, and to weave or stop suddenly. Granted, she's a very stocky little thing; probably a good thousand pounds or more- but she could cut better than most of the other horses!

I'm guessing the guy who is selling a 14.3hh horse and calling it too short doesn't know a whole lot, unless this horse is has lean, lightly built structure. Most people want a solid mount for that sort of thing.

smrobs 11-15-2011 07:25 PM

14.3 is actually on the larger size for a cutting horse. My guess would be that the horse was either too short for the guy riding him or the guy just didn't know what the heck he was talking about. As for team penning horses, they can be any size so long as they are quick on their feet.

cowgirlnay 12-22-2011 01:32 PM

Yeah this guy obviously is a little confused... I would say 14'2 is sort of an average size for a cutting horse...Some are larger and do in fact do an awesome job, but shorter horses are actually a desired characteristic...they can get down low and make those quick turns just that much easier...if you think about it, physically it does make sense!

rob 01-13-2012 12:51 PM

some of your world or futurity champions were only 13.2 to 14.2.some big horses can be good athletes,but a smaller horse is snappier and quicker to get there,even your penners and sorters.