The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   puncture on forearm OCT 30th (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/puncture-forearm-oct-30th-103518/)

ArabianAllie 11-15-2011 05:07 PM

puncture on forearm OCT 30th

VET ALREADY CONSULTED. Just said to keep it clean and cold hose for swelling. Wouldn't stitch because it was puncture/wasn't clean/needed to drain. Gave new tetanus shot and Penicillin cant remember the dose but I think it was 100 cc over a couple days. maybe 20 cc at a time. That was 2 weeks ago.

So here's the story. I came out on Halloween and there was a cut and a puncture on his right front forearm. Maybe 5 inches below the bottom of the shoulder where the leg starts. Vet came out checked it. ^^ It swelled up to his knee and that has since gone down, and it has stopped draining. The scab comes off every couple days from him rolling. Everyday I cold hose it, and make sure it's clean. I've been using vetricyn to clean it, and cold hosing it for 20 mins/day. The puncture was only about an inch long and the rest was just a scape. Maybe 4 inches total. I have also rubbed liniment around the whole forearm avoiding the area where the cut is. I have given him bute on days when I can tell he is really struggling with it

He is STILL off on it. He is fine without any extra weight on it, so I thought I could get on. NOPE. He is giving into it at the walk when mounted. Called vet since he was still off, and they just said to give it more time to heal up since the swelling is down and is still healing nicely.
Anyways, I know I'm not riding him again for a while, and he is getting better. I guess I just wanted to rant to horseforum. I just want to ride my own horse again! :cry:

Anything else I can do for my poor horse and his 16 day cut.. obviously just give it more time, keep in touch with vet, watch for changes.

But should I hand walk him to stretch it out and keep him from getting stiff since he , just work on some ground manners...?

Not that this has anything to do with it, but he is on B-L pellets and corta-flx powder.

SORRY this post is all over the place, just typing as things come to my head. hehehe... :-) I have some pics from day one I'll post later when I get home, and I'll take some from today too.
Not even sure what I want to hear in response, just the "ugh! we know how you feel"

Monty77 11-15-2011 05:27 PM

Injuries suck. Last year I went out to catch my Arabian, Freddy, and found him with a 1" long puncture wound just under his forelock. It was horrible, it was foaming and my mom thought it was his brain (which it wasn't thank god) the vet came out and blah blah blah he's fine now. So yeah I know how you feel lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cherie 11-15-2011 05:59 PM

Did the Vet probe it? Can you push hard all around the outer edges of the wound up to a point 2 or 3 inches from it in all direction? I would aggressively push and prod all around it looking for a sore area or a hard lump or a soft spot.

It is no unusual for a Vet to miss a splinter or a foreign object that is deep beneath a small puncture. I have seen a dozen or more of these over the years. Some have gone months before they broke back open and drained again.

I had one of my own that should have died. He came up from a big pasture (with lots of timber and creeks) with a huge wound between his hind legs. It had bled profusely and I tracked the blood trail to a big stick that had obviously impaled him as the end had blood and hair on it. I looked like it had been 5 or 6 inches into his body.

The Vet came, laid him down, put a gloved hand into the 5 inch gash (right where he had been castrated), declared it clean and we flushed it and started him on Penn. Gave him a Tetanus Antitoxin shot and called him really lucky.

Seven weeks later to the day I was looking at his old closed wound and wondering why he was still very sore and unrideable and I saw something sticking out of it. I felt it and it was a piece of wood. I called the Vet back up, he laid him down again and pulled out a 7 inch long splinter bigger around than my thumb.

Since then, I have had locust thorns and Bois D'Arc thorns work their way out of punctures and have seen many other people's horses with similar wounds.

I would really try to make sure there is still not something in it. A simple puncture should not be sore this long.

Another thing you might try would be to force exercise him and see if you can make an underlying (literally) problem come to light.

ArabianAllie 11-15-2011 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 1234431)
Did the Vet probe it? Can you push hard all around the outer edges of the wound up to a point 2 or 3 inches from it in all direction? I would aggressively push and prod all around it looking for a sore area or a hard lump or a soft spot.

It is no unusual for a Vet to miss a splinter or a foreign object that is deep beneath a small puncture. I have seen a dozen or more of these over the years. Some have gone months before they broke back open and drained again.

I had one of my own that should have died. He came up from a big pasture (with lots of timber and creeks) with a huge wound between his hind legs. It had bled profusely and I tracked the blood trail to a big stick that had obviously impaled him as the end had blood and hair on it. I looked like it had been 5 or 6 inches into his body.

The Vet came, laid him down, put a gloved hand into the 5 inch gash (right where he had been castrated), declared it clean and we flushed it and started him on Penn. Gave him a Tetanus Antitoxin shot and called him really lucky.

Seven weeks later to the day I was looking at his old closed wound and wondering why he was still very sore and unrideable and I saw something sticking out of it. I felt it and it was a piece of wood. I called the Vet back up, he laid him down again and pulled out a 7 inch long splinter bigger around than my thumb.

Since then, I have had locust thorns and Bois D'Arc thorns work their way out of punctures and have seen many other people's horses with similar wounds.

I would really try to make sure there is still not something in it. A simple puncture should not be sore this long.

Another thing you might try would be to force exercise him and see if you can make an underlying (literally) problem come to light.

I have been pushing and prodding around it since it happened. He was sore around it at first but now doesn't even pay attention to me pressing around it. My other thought is that he could just be stiff in that leg since he hasn't even trotted under saddle in 3 weeks. He is prone to getting stiff and sore. But usually the back end up in his butt/hip . I just got out here, I'll press around on it.
Posted via Mobile Device

ArabianAllie 11-15-2011 07:36 PM

Poking prodding pushing nothing. I even touched right where the scab came off and nothing. Only reaction was to me literally moving the big front muscle of the forearm around. That may have been a "what ARE you doing?" its pouring rain here right now so I just walked him around barn for a minute watching his gait. He isn't extending the leg as far forward as the other, but just barely maybe an inch less. It goes all the way back. I took off about half of the scab. it was dangling. He rolled in the mud today.
Posted via Mobile Device

farmpony84 11-15-2011 07:56 PM

I'm sorry. Probably just need to take time to heal as long as it is clean and doesn't get infected. Puncture rooms are really tricky because it's hard to tell just how deep they are and what exactly is affected.

I remember a friend of mine had one with a puncture to his shoulder. The vet cleaned it, probed it, put him on antibiotics and so on and so forth. It healed and then it swelled and burst again... same deal... I think it happened a couple times and each time the vet would probe it and find nothing. The last time they lanced it and really opened it up. Turned out there was a .22 slug in it.

Just keep an eye on it and give it time. :(

ArabianAllie 11-15-2011 08:14 PM

was just thinking whatever did it could have roughed up that muscle or torn it a little bit and that is what is taking so long. It didn't feel any warmer than the rest of his leg or his other the swelling has gone all the way down except for right around it, and I think that just may take a while, since it is still "open". the flesh underneath is healed it's just the top still healing up. :shock: I didn't get to cold hose it because it was raining and he wont go in the indoor wash room, he told me there are scary invisible things in there. haha... I just sprayed it with vetricyn and brushed out the blood from the hair beneath.. it's probably been a week since I did that. I couldn't even make it bleed if I squeezed, there isn't anything left to come out of that thing unless it is deeeeeep!

ArabianAllie 11-16-2011 12:14 PM

pictures

4 Attachment(s)
All of these are from today except the one where he is dry (which is the last picture)... sorry pics are so bad, on my phone at night. =/ this was right after some of the scab came off and I squeezed/pushed/poked. :-| And one of him just being cute/not standing still.