The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Best Starting Young Horses DVD? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/best-starting-young-horses-dvd-103546/)

petitepyromaniac 11-15-2011 10:47 PM

Best Starting Young Horses DVD?

What, in your opinion, is the best DVD(s) out there on starting young horses? I know there's a lot of trainers out there who each have their own, but I'm not sure which one to go with.

In my particular case, I bought a young mare that has been started, but is still very green. I feel like there are a lot of holes in her training, so I want to start over from the beginning with her. It's been a while since I started a young horse, so I need a refresher course! However, I want something that isn't too short- I'd rather have the DVD cover too much than too little.

My horse and I are anxiously waiting for some much needed advice!!! :)

Toymanator 11-16-2011 03:23 PM

What would you like the DVD to cover? What are the holes that you think are in her training? This will help to know what you are looking for.

Skyseternalangel 11-16-2011 03:30 PM

I can't really offer any particular DVDs.. but definitely do your research online about ground work. And in the library, rent books about horse training or look up books online that have high star ratings that focus on starting a horse, and also HANDLING a horse. I really like looking at every single known trainer's technique, including Cherry Hill (she has a very basic way of explaining things,) Rick Gore (don't get offended.. just focus on what he teaches,) Parelli, Clinton Anderson, my riding instructors through the years, local trainers, EVERYONE! And lots of books on the subject too :)

You can also find a knowledgeable horse instructor.. maybe a riding instructor or a "trainer" and ask them to help you/teach you about some of their techniques to better prepare your horse for under saddle work.

Just seek every resource out there. Maybe browse the training section on these forums and C&P techniques onto a word document, print them out.. you could try them, further research them, find videos on youtube, ask local trainers about them, develop your own, etc.

But I will say this.. a strong background in ground work will develop a very good mount. Then you just need to make sure that YOU know what you're doing (definitely get a riding instructor that has experience.. it's SO worth it) so that you can help to further develop everything your horse has been taught on the ground.. to under saddle :)

Have fun and wear gloves! :P

Kato 11-16-2011 08:04 PM

I agree look at many sources. This place is like Netflix but is all horse related. GiddyUpFlix.com: Horse DVD Rentals | Horse Training Dvd | Horse Dvds | Rent Horse Videos They have videos from all the big name trainers and plenty of others.

I've taken the items from each of the trainers I that I liked, and put together a system that works for me.

waresbear 11-16-2011 09:23 PM

Years ago I watched a Richard Shrake breaking colt video, was really good as I recall. Seen a few others, wasn't as simply laid out as the Shrake one, his was very easy to follow & use.

kitten_Val 11-17-2011 07:57 AM

Set of DVDs (say by CA, or PP, or Jane Savoie (if you do dressage)) is close to $1000. Save you money and get lessons instead with someone knowing what he/she is doing. $1000 will give you 4-5 months of private lessons once/week, and you can practice what you learned at the lesson between the lessons. :wink: