The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Fears when riding? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/fears-when-riding-103547/)

Cowgirls Boots 11-16-2011 12:05 AM

Fears when riding?

125 Attachment(s)
So I know this must effect some of us on here and I'm sure it's fairly common in riding horses. Do you still get nervous/or have certain fears when/while riding?

Now I've been riding since I was 3 (17 now) on and off since I sold my last 2 horses three years ago and just got my new guy three weeks ago. I think I'm pretty confident in saying I still do get fearful to ride at times especially on new horses I have never ridden. Anyone else out there? It kinda stinks because even though I know my new guy isn't out to kill me and he is quiet under saddle I still get nervous to ride him out by myself and I certainly won't canter.

Ugh, I just feel like I'm being so held bAck by this stupid fear and it's so embarrassing sometimes. Soooo, has anyone else ever expierenced this? If so how did you get over this fear? I love going fast but imsuch a baby on new horses. There have been a select few horses(very very few) that i was fearless on. I don't have a clue why!! But as I recall one Appaloosa mare I rode for about 3 weeks I was fearless on and she was known to buck unexpectedly. And I don't have a hair of a clue why I was so darn fearless on her!

Blah. **rant over**

DuffyDuck 11-16-2011 04:21 AM

Yep!!

I get petrified, truly trult, of hacking out alone, in company and jumping. You can put me on the safest horse going, and I still cry before it happens, and I just can't get over it. I will do eventually, and my biggest fear is that I lliterally know NOTHING about Duffy, I've had to work with her as I've gone along to see what she knows, and what she really doesn't! And the thought of taking her hacking without knowing what her past experiences are makes me want to throw, but I'll do it next year.. determined.. even if I hurl down the side of her ;)

highlonesome 11-16-2011 04:40 AM

Work on your confidence.Know that you are well able to cope with behavior,spooking,new or unexpected reactions by any horse you get on.Everyone will get surprised or unseated or blindsided by a horse at some point.You can't anticipate everything.I'm sure you know horses pick up on your fear,hesitation,etc.They sense your unease or confidence quickly.KNOW that you're able,accept that bumps and bruises will happen time to time,but that you love this life and enjoy the horses!

Joe4d 11-16-2011 09:20 AM

I'm afraid of new horses, but wont keep one long if it doesnt subside, I do alot of miles at a walk and get to know the horse before i trust him and me to gait/trot. then lots more days and miles before I ever get into a lope. You have to learn eachother and build some trust. A little fear is a good thing.

Courage
is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

kait18 11-16-2011 09:36 AM

i must be weird lol i would rather ride a new horse. if someone tells me they are saddle broke i find it very easy to put faith in them to listen and 90% of the time they do.
i am however scared ever so often of my personal horse denny. we have had bad and good days lately more good but i am always waiting for the second he turns to get evil again. its a constant battle to keep my strength with him on the ground but even with him, i trust him completely in the saddle.
and i am absolutely terrified of jumps. i have been trying to overcome it but the way up is so much better then the way down lol :)
fear is always good to start but having none like me in the saddle or to much can be bad. give it time you will find that once you find the right one all your fears will slowly dissappear.

blacksplash 11-16-2011 09:58 AM

Yeah, theres a couple of situations that make me nervous. There's this huge field down the road from me and my neighbour told me a few weeks ago I could gallop the horses in it.
I hack along the roads most of the time, exept once a week, when I go trecking with my trainer. So the thought of going into a big wide open space and trusting my horse not to do anything stupid, and trusting myself that I wouldnt let her do anything stupid, was terrifying!
After thinking about it for a couple of weeks, and talking myself into it, I went in there yesterday. I can honestly say that I've never had so much fun on a horse!
Other situations that make me nervous are going out on the road with a new/green horse and seeing a truck/tractor coming. Sometimes it doesnt matter how much prep work/ training/ desensitising I do, I have to give myself a kick in the a$$ to make myself do it.
For me, as long as I've prepared as much I can and made the decision to do something, then I try not to over think it and not dwell on the ''what if'' side of things.

goneriding 11-16-2011 10:23 AM

Sometimes I'll get a little nervous depending on what horse I am riding and the situation I am riding in. Sometimes having a beer or a shot helps calm my nerves and in return calms my horse.:wink:

Cruiser 11-16-2011 10:50 AM

I am dealing with this now as well, I use to be brave, I think. Rode any horse, retrained it didn't bother me a bit. Having great balance with or without a saddle I rarely if ever fell. But the last few years of riding lessons I started to get hurt a lot, bolting, rearing, bucking lead to many trips to the hospital for x rays and stuff. Nothing serious but after two or three years of that every lesson it took its toll on my confidence.

I just got my new mare, I bought because she was calm and could care less, but responsive at the same time. I got frustrated because my balance was suffering, so the other day I asked for a leg up, I forced past my fears of being hurt again and have been riding bare back every day of the this week. I shake every time I get up there, but Spice doesn't bat an eye lash and I am now trotting around confidently. Mind you it will take awhile before I am 100% again, but I will always be more cautious.

I like the quote the Joe4d put by John Wayne. "Courage is being scared to death but saddling up any way"

Drifting 11-16-2011 10:56 AM

I have a horse that walks too fast and doesn't pay attention where he is going, regardless of the fact that we're usually in the woods or places where he needs to watch his feet. I am constantly nervous that he's going to trip, especially when we're going down a steep hill or riding along the edge of a cliff.

A few beers before I get in the saddle usually help relax me real quick though!

Remy410 11-16-2011 11:58 AM

Don't worry you have plenty of company in this. I have zero fear with my TB mare. I know her, trust her, and will take her anywhere. Unfortunately, she's pretty much retired due to arthritis. I have a 4 year old (almost 5) Oldenburg that I'm riding now, and I do not trust him. I did all his groundwork as a yearling/2 year old, take weekly lessons with a qualified instructor who is overseeing our training - and he has never given me a reason not to trust him. He's got an amazing attitude for his age, is pretty honest and very well behaved. But I don't trust him. As a result I always get anxious before I ride him. It goes away after about 10 minutes of riding - but there's that window of time that my confidence is below zero and it's very hard to even mount up. I'm anticipating that something *may* happen and freaking myself out. But anything that has happened I've always handled just fine - I came off, he's had a couple big spooks - and it was no big deal. It's very frustrating for me and just not a good thing with a young horse. Luckily my trainer is very understanding of the needs of the adult female rider - we have several of them at our barn. We're very supportive of one another. Hopefully this fear will go away as our partnership grows. *hopefully*