The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Need Advice (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/need-advice-103603/)

Mtn Grrl 11-16-2011 03:09 PM

Need Advice

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone has ever dealt with a situation of witnessing a person inflicting 'discomfort' to a horse by using a large stick?

I will give you an idea of what was witnessed:
A person, with a (what looked to be) sawed-off hockey stick, whacking a blanketed gelding over the back with it at least three consecutive times. Horse was pinned against a fence, ears back, obviously feeling distressed.

I know, I know, some of us have been in a position one time or another when we've wanted to bonk our buddies once or twice with a big stick, but we often resort to measures which are more acceptable :wink:.

My concern is that the measure that this person took to punish/communicate/discipline her horse was inappropriate given that NO horse communicates this way, ever, under any circumstance.

This person is also in a position of authority/leadership to LEAD by EXAMPLE to our youth, as well as a team member in our horse community. This act could have been witnessed by anyone ... and that could jeopardize so much; our community club, ourselves, our children, our horses...

What would you do?

Remy410 11-16-2011 04:38 PM

That's a difficult position to be in. If the horse didn't belong to the person who was hitting it, I would report it to the owner and let them handle it. I would want to know if someone was mistreating my horse. If you don't feel comfortable confronting the person, you may can anonymously report it to the authorities. Even if nothing comes of it, maybe being reported will make this person take a step back and think about her behavior.

Dresden 11-16-2011 04:48 PM

Depends on what the horse did. If I get attacked I'm probably gonna whack said attacking horse with whatever is in my hand.
Posted via Mobile Device