The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Schooling on a hack help? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/schooling-hack-help-103620/)

StarlightFilly 11-16-2011 05:38 PM

Schooling on a hack help?

Hey, new here but I've got a question...
I've got a horse on part-loan and he's fantastic and we get on really well, unfortunately, the stable he is at does not yet have a paddock but I would still like to do some schooling work with him. There is no available field at the moment either that I could use for this purpose, so my only option is to try and do some things whist we are hacking.
I've done some leg-yielding around cars and some collected/extended walk but would like advice on anything else I could do with him. I want to keep it varied and do a bit of whatever I can whilst out...so...
any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

OwnedByAlli 11-16-2011 06:01 PM

Trotting up hills is great for strengthening back muscles and for getting horses using their rear end. Also asking for some form of outline could be a good idea on hacks as it can help focus a horse if he spooks or plays up etc. If you have to turn around at the top of a track try asking for turn on the forehand for something different too
Posted via Mobile Device

StarlightFilly 11-16-2011 06:06 PM

Thanks...I've done a bit of trotting uphill but not too much as we are trying to build his fitness up steadily...never thought about doing turns on the forehand so will give that a try :)

OwnedByAlli 11-16-2011 06:12 PM

Yes Alli is restricted to little trots too! I would probably teach turn on the forrhand from the ground first as it makes it a bit easier for your horse! Also i am trying to teach alli what is effectively turn on the haunches in hand but havent got to saddle yet lolz
Posted via Mobile Device

StarlightFilly 11-17-2011 08:12 AM

he's an old hand at stuff like that to be fair, used to be a dressage horse and is a bit of a schoolmaster in the sense of he's done a bit of everything

kait18 11-17-2011 05:27 PM

you could always looking for fallen trees and pop over them... just inspect them before you jump it. or tight circles around trees. go backwards up the hill. practice transitions...
there is so much more i just can't think of it... i usually do alot of training while hacking out. pretty much think if you can do it in the arena 90% of the time you can do it on a hack imo.
have fun :)

StarlightFilly 11-17-2011 07:03 PM

There's no fallen trees or anything like that I can pop over on the track I know but I don't know the bridle ways round the area fantastically well yet will try the others though thanks for the suggestions
Posted via Mobile Device

trailhorserider 11-17-2011 08:58 PM

I like to work on side passing and backing while out on the trails. And standing quietly for mounting from both sides.

Those are all things that you really want a horse to be able to do out on the trails, and you would be surprised how many don't come with such basic training. Neither of my current horses would side pass when I got them. But if your guy was a dressage horse, he probably is very good at those basic things already. :-)

StarlightFilly 11-19-2011 05:18 AM

it's been a while which is why I want to school him however I can...as for getting on and off I would love to do as he doesn't always stand still but he's 17hh and at the moment I'm not flexible enough to get myself up there without a mounting block though I do keep looking out for things I can use to do this...
Can I just ask what you mean by Side Pass...as I'm not entirely sure what you mean...