The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Sheepskin half pad to use with my Dressage saddle? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/sheepskin-half-pad-use-my-dressage-103624/)

With Grace 11-16-2011 06:50 PM

Sheepskin half pad to use with my Dressage saddle?

I'm overwhelmed by the choices out there, and the reviews are all over the place. I just purchased my dressage saddle last week, and both my trainer and I agree that although the saddle fits well, she needs more padding that what a standard dressage pad provides. I'd like to get a sheepskin half pad - anyone have a favorite or a suggestion on what I should look at or stay away from? Many thanks!

kitten_Val 11-17-2011 08:18 AM

Why do you need more padding if the saddle fits? With extra-padding you in fact may very well screw the fit. Or is it an old saddle with little padding? If you want more protection for the back and fit is there I'd much rather look into Thinline pad.

Allison Finch 11-17-2011 10:06 AM

Most half pads will fit jumping and dressage saddle alike. What can make a difference is seat size. The better half pads come in sizes. Measure to distance from pommel to the end of the rear panels. An easy way to measure is to take a pad that fits the saddle and measure the top line front to back. Some saddle need a larger half pad to keep the rear panels from sitting on the edge of the half pad. This can create a pressure point that may be uncomfortable for the horse.

With Grace 11-17-2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 1236049)
Why do you need more padding if the saddle fits? With extra-padding you in fact may very well screw the fit. Or is it an old saddle with little padding? If you want more protection for the back and fit is there I'd much rather look into Thinline pad.

Thanks for your help with this...
The saddle fits well, but she is very high withered and she's used to a thicker pad than the dressage pad. I'm leasing her, and the owner commented that I should look into a thicker pad or a half pad to use in addition to the thin dressage pad for more wither protection and back comfort.

I"m looking at a Mattes half pad, the Thinlines are unfortunately out of my price range at the moment.

With Grace 11-17-2011 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allison Finch (Post 1236142)
Most half pads will fit jumping and dressage saddle alike. What can make a difference is seat size. The better half pads come in sizes. Measure to distance from pommel to the end of the rear panels. An easy way to measure is to take a pad that fits the saddle and measure the top line front to back. Some saddle need a larger half pad to keep the rear panels from sitting on the edge of the half pad. This can create a pressure point that may be uncomfortable for the horse.

Thank you! I measured my saddle yesterday for the Mattes sheepskin...its in my shopping cart but I hesitate to make the purchase until I have some opinions on if I need it, and which I should be looking at.

kitten_Val 11-17-2011 11:22 AM

Oh, I see. Yes, if you are leasing then you better go with what owner said, that's for sure. And yes, Thinline is pricey (although it's worth every $ you paid for it, not saying to get it, just commenting :wink: ). I'd go with something like Mattes or Roma then.

With Grace 11-17-2011 11:29 AM

I may eventually purchase a Thinline - its my first choice, but I went with the pricey saddle last week and not left with much for a pad that I hadn't planned on buying. But, my number one concern is her comfort, of course.

Delfina 11-17-2011 11:48 AM

Mattes are great halfpads, I've used them.

I went with the Thinline saddle fitter pad. If you take the shims out, it's a plain sheepskin pad but the option for putting shims in, is there so it's more versatile IMO.

MIEventer 11-17-2011 12:55 PM

I agree with Kitten, if the saddle fits her nicely, then you don't want to add extra bulk underneath the saddle because you will be causing more issues than not. That's like putting on thick socks in a pair of shoes that already fit you comfortably, walk around for a while like that, and you'll cause blisters and other issues that cause discomfort.

If you want to protect the horses withers, I would look into a dressage pad, that has the extra thickness in the pad that will protect the withers. You can even buy dressage pads that have sheepskin underneath the areas you want to protect. Or even a pommel pad.

With Grace 11-17-2011 01:16 PM

Thanks everyone - so perhaps a pad more like this would work better for me and save my thinner dressage pads for show?

Mattes Dressage Shaped Saddle Pad < Sheepskin Saddle Pads < Horse Tack|Dover Saddlery.