The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Choosing a horse blanket (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/choosing-horse-blanket-103644/)

PoleBendingRider 11-16-2011 09:38 PM

Choosing a horse blanket

I need some advice for getting my horse a new blanket. She just ripped the only blanket she has and Im going to buy a new one. I just cant decide one factor.

Should I buy a 600D or a 1000D? I live in Oregon where it rains and sometimes the weather gets 30F or maybe less (but not often enough). I am thinking of getting a 1000D but am worried she might get really hot or sweat. Reason for her blanket is I compete barrel races and so having a short hair helps.

If I could get some thought that would be so nice!
Thanks

DrumRunner 11-16-2011 09:43 PM

Actually the "D" doesn't have much to do with the warmth level..it just determines the durability of the blanket. the "grams" is all about warmth, so that's what you should be looking at if you're worried about the level of filling and insulation. The higher "D" the blanket is, the tougher it is. You would probably do well with a mid or heavy weight blanket. If your horse is rough, likes to roll alot, or scratches on things I would go with a higher level of "D".

my barrel horses have these blankets and they are pretty heavy duty and warm. I love them and Schenider's has excellent customer service. You could also call and talk to them about your situation and see what they would suggest for you.

StormShieldŽ CLASSIC EURO Contour Collar Turnouts in Euro Fit at Schneider Saddlery

SaddleOnline 11-17-2011 09:15 PM

The grams (300 is fairly average) are more about the warmth than the denier, though a higher denier is typically indicative of a warmer, tougher blanket.

Since you live in a wet area that doesn't go a whole lot below 30F all that often, a waterproof (i.e. make sure it says turnout blanket, not stable blanket) 600D, 300 gram medium weight blanket should work well for your mare.

If you are worried a mid-weight blanket won't be warm enough, but are concerned about her getting too hot, buy a sheet as well. You can always use the sheet on warmer days and layer the pair of them together for extra warmth on really cold nights.