The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Strong Wood For Building Stalls...? (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/strong-wood-building-stalls-103649/)

SRCM16 11-16-2011 11:36 PM

Strong Wood For Building Stalls...?

I have four horses that come in every night, and three of them are really good about keeping all four feet on the ground while in the stall. BUT I have one hell of a b****y mare that starts fights and has kicked her stall so bad its gone through the wall to the tack room on the other side. :shock: When I first got her last year she would rear up over the stall (sometimes getting her legs caught) so she could attack the other horses. I've since put wood there so she can't see the horse that's beside her but she still kicks at her stall (partly because she runs out of hay I think but she gets almost an entire square bale). So please tell me that there is wood out there that can withstand my mare's kicking, or ever idea on how to make the wood stronger so she can't kick through so easily!

I've tried blocking her off from the other horses completely, getting her a lick it/ball so she doesn't get bored but she just doesn't like being stalled and letting her out at night is not an option. I need strong wood! I've heard hemlock works good but the person also said it'd make my horse crib/suck on it because its got a sweet taste, which I don't want.

SRCM16 11-17-2011 09:40 AM

Morning bump. :)

churumbeque 11-17-2011 09:59 AM

2"x6" are strong and standard material for stalls.. They also need a support in the middle of the wall. Are you using plywood or something?

SRCM16 11-17-2011 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by churumbeque (Post 1236070)
2"x6" are strong and standard material for stalls.. They also need a support in the middle of the wall. Are you using plywood or something?

There is plywood, but its under the 2x6's because someone said it would help prevent from holes.

Red Gate Farm 11-17-2011 10:12 AM

What about kicking chains on her back legs to teach her to stop kicking? I've never had a kicker and cannot imagine a horse going through a 2x6 and plywood. Perhaps the trick isn't to reinforce the stall more, but to train the mare to stop kicking?

churumbeque 11-17-2011 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Gate Farm (Post 1236078)
I've never had a kicker and cannot imagine a horse going through a 2x6 and plywood. Perhaps the trick isn't to reinforce the stall more, but to train the mare to stop kicking?

My guess is that it isn't installed correctly or it should be strong enough. The boards should be tight against each horizontially other with no gaps and into vertical channels on the rear and front with extra support in the middle.
Horse Stalls
something like these

churumbeque 11-17-2011 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by churumbeque (Post 1236087)
My guess is that it isn't installed correctly or it should be strong enough. The boards should be tight against each horizontially other with no gaps and into vertical channels on the rear and front with extra support in the middle.
Horse Stalls
something like these

Horse stall kits for support post stall kit construction by Country Manufacturing.
this is more detailed and shows the stiffener for strrength

SRCM16 11-17-2011 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Gate Farm (Post 1236078)
What about kicking chains on her back legs to teach her to stop kicking? I've never had a kicker and cannot imagine a horse going through a 2x6 and plywood. Perhaps the trick isn't to reinforce the stall more, but to train the mare to stop kicking?

IMO kicking chains/hobbles are abuse, I don't care what other people say. Sorry but thats my two cents.

Also I know someone that used hobbles to stop a kicking horse and it did something to its leg so it can no longer be ridden.

Quote:

Originally Posted by churumbeque (Post 1236087)
Horse Stalls
something like these

That could explain it. The person that I had building it never built a horse barn before so he was just going on what he's seen, and I think the boards aren't tight against each other. Thank you, I'll look at them tonight when I get home.

Darrin 11-17-2011 10:41 AM

You have to be careful not to make your wall to stiff, you want it to flex but not give. Reinforce it to much and your mare might as well be kicking a concrete wall and get injured. Have you considered hanging stall mats on the wall? Those will cushion the blow and prevent her from going through the wall.

Personally I wont have that type of horse on my property and would sell her but that's me. Dad taught me with cows to cull out the obnoxious, difficult and ones that refuse to stay in the fence line for a more harmonious herd. The theory works well with horses too.

mls 11-17-2011 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRCM16 (Post 1236096)
IMO kicking chains/hobbles are abuse, I don't care what other people say. Sorry but thats my two cents.

Also I know someone that used hobbles to stop a kicking horse and it did something to its leg so it can no longer be ridden.

My two cents -

It's not abuse - a smart horse is learns it is only hurting itself.

The hobbles didn't hurt the horse, the fact that it was kicking did.

Kicking through wood is bad enough but kicking through tin is worse.