The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   What do you think? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/what-do-you-think-103656/)

xeventer17 11-17-2011 03:54 AM

What do you think?

I'm not actively looking for a horse right now, as I can't afford board (it's ridiculous in my area) at the moment. But I'm always browsing around and eyeing up what's out there. Came across this guy in this weeks Camelot crop and I think I fell in love. I don't know what it is about him but something just draws me in, so just for kicks, what do you guys think? If I decide it's really worth it, it's possible that my mother's boyfriend may fund me for a while

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...75915659_n.jpg

"#431 - Bay Gelding, approx. 16.1 hh or so. 3 yrs old. Was selling 100% sound. "no crib, no weave". . .$300.00"

He's quite obviously underweight, and the "no crib, no weave" thing concerns me a little. It seems very odd for that to be pretty much the only information provided.

I realize it's hard to tell much conformationally from this picture, but working with what we have the only thing that REALLY stands out to me is his front left... Could be just the way he's standing though? His back legs look a little off too, but I can't really tell.

Thank you in advance, I just really either need someone to tell me I should really go for it, or it's an awful idea and not worth it at the moment.

Also, when I am actively looking for a horse, I will still be looking at auction horses. I'm looking for a hidden gem that has good potential. Preferably one unbroke or very green... a horse that hasn't had the chance to messed up by bad training.

bubba13 11-17-2011 04:00 AM

I'm looking at his left front. Either a significant deviation at the knee or a really unflattering photo. No chance for better pics?

xeventer17 11-17-2011 04:03 AM

Oops! Meant left. Where did my sense of direction go? Better pictures are highly unlikely unless the people where he is end up taking some later in the week if he doesn't sell right away. He's at a large horse auction. Only chance would be if I went out to see him, but it's slightly over an hour away, and most of the horses are usually gone within the first few days.

stacysills02 11-17-2011 12:11 PM

if i was u i would just go look at him in a person . even if its far away. it looks like to me hes just skinny and need some time to make him healthy agin

xeventer17 11-17-2011 12:47 PM

Looking at him in person without buying isn't really an option. He's an auction horse so it's either I go get him, or someone else will. That's all I'm really seeing too though, so I'm trying to convince myself to go for it >.<

xeventer17 11-17-2011 01:03 PM

He's sold :[

bubba13 11-17-2011 02:21 PM

Probably just as well.
Check your local Craiglist for cheap diamonds in the rough you can actually try before you buy.

xeventer17 11-17-2011 03:00 PM

I have been lately, actually. Unfortunately, I live in a very high income area (generally), so even the cheap, not so nice, horses are listed for between 1000-1500 on craigslist. I love where I live, but **** are things expensive!

bubba13 11-17-2011 04:24 PM

Road trip your way over here! Lots of nice horses in the $100-$500 range on CL.