The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   pigeon toe (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/pigeon-toe-103675/)

ArabianAllie 11-17-2011 01:16 PM

pigeon toe

My horse is pigeon toed. The farrier says it's mostly the way his hooves grow naturally and just slightly conformational. He is working to fix it, but just started. I was just wondering what is the proper way to manage this. I know you can only fix the hoof (overtime) and not the leg (lol, just break it and straighten it out... jokes).
I keep him barefoot, he has got great feet.
Is it better to keep him barefoot should he get corrective shoes... or should I just let my farrier trim it as he has been to correct it.....

Guess I just want someone to explain it to me more.

When you look at him it looks like the leg but my farrier picked up the hoof and showed me the angle it turns at and how it should turn and that it lines up with the leg correctly it's just growing wrong... BUT I swear it looks like his legs are all goofy when you just look at them head on. Haha, he moves just fine (when he is not hurt like right now)...

lilruffian 11-17-2011 02:01 PM

I would just let the ferrier do his thing. Keep him barefoot if you can.
My Arab is pigeon toed as well but it has NO effect on her whatsoever. Never trips, never been lame and she too has amazing feet.
If your ferrier thinks he can help it, then let him give it a shot but dont go to drastic measures if his pigeon toes dont seem to pose much of a problem for your horse.

raywonk 11-17-2011 02:05 PM

Your farrier may want to put shoes on later to help keep the hoof from growing out wrong once he gets it wear he wants it to. I had a great little mare with the same problem with proper trimming and showing you could hardly tell unless you looked really close.

ArabianAllie 11-17-2011 02:20 PM

ok great. I was just a little curious.

AmazinCaucasian 11-17-2011 07:38 PM

If the foot is unlevel, make it level. If not, leave it alone. Even if they're pigeon-toed. If the hooves are unlevel for an extended time, you will have BIG problems (sidebone)

smrobs 11-17-2011 07:45 PM

Unfortunately, pigeon toes are not something that can ever be "fixed" once the horse is grown. The most you can do is keep them properly balanced for what they are. I also have a pigeon toed horse and I keep him barefoot except in the summer when I am using him hard. Then, I put shoes on him just to keep the unbalanced wear down to a minimum.

ArabianAllie 11-17-2011 11:43 PM

yes, I should say managed... kept to a minimum.

loosie 11-18-2011 02:43 AM

Hi,

Agree with others that say it shouldn't be 'fixed' if it's conformational - true pigeon toed, etc. However, I've heard people(farriers) call a horse pigeon toed because he had medial flares, walls were higher medially, outside heels collapsed, etc. In those sorts of cases, I think it generally can/should be fixed. Got any hoof pics to give a better idea about what we're on about?

As for what you can do for the horse, keep him maintained in well balanced feet with frequent good trimming.

DuffyDuck 11-18-2011 04:19 AM

Duffy is pigeon toed, hence the name Duffy Duck ;D

She's whole leg, so she can make it look straight as anything, then the next minute when stood its at a right angle... He hooves were very overgrown when I got her, and it made it look so much worse so in my vet check I had her front legs xrayed to check for fractures, side bone, navicular etc. Nothing, all clear, so I bought her. My farrier has put shoes on her front, simply because it seems to have a better effect with her movment. She dishes, but thats not a problem, now she's put muscle on and working correctly its not as bad as it was. She was only foot sore after the first trim and shoeing, which isn't a surprise after the state of her feet -angry face-

Speak to your farrier, he knows best :)

ArabianAllie 11-21-2011 02:32 PM

see the more I look at it, it looks like it's the whole pastern turned, but like I said, when the farrier picked the foot up and showed me everything lines up at it should. I will take some pics but you can actually see in my avatar if you look close. IT REALLY LOOKS BAD THERE. hahaa.