The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Firing my farrier? Help!! (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/firing-my-farrier-help-103679/)

Klassic Superstar 11-17-2011 01:50 PM

Firing my farrier? Help!!

Since I baught Oliver in August I have only had one farrier work on him, she was suggested to me by the person who baught my mare in August, I really like her, she is very pataint and has alot of great input on what needs to be done with his feet.

When Oliver came to me he had front shoes on, poor guy was slippin and slidding with them on (past owner had her farrier put them on due to a small crack in his hoof) so my farrier took them off and said he had really good strong feet and the crack was gone when I had got him, so he has been barefoot since mid August now and I havent had any issues with it.

Here is my problem, that just recently accured.
Oliver got trimmed right before his move to my trainers barn (week of Oct 15th) Everything went fine and no issues, he ws getting turned out into a dry mud free paddock everyday so not soft or thrushy or anyting.

Just two weeks ago ( or about give or takea couple days) my trainer texted me asking if I wanted Oliver's feet done cause her farrier was coming out that day. I told her he wsnt due till the end of the month but since it never hurts to have a second setof eyes look over his feet and tell me what he thinks, I told her if he had time to jus look at him and if not that was perfectly fine.

Turns out he had time and when he looked at his feet, he found a rock between the walla dn the whiteline in his front right toe.

Now I am very good at picking his feet out, I do it everytime before ad after I ride and he gets them hosed off and picked out after coming in from turnout. I never sawa rock or any indication there was somthing there. He took it out and it was so deep it left about a 1inch hole in his toe (he is still not showing any signs of soreness or swelling or anything)

I was really glad he had time to look and feel so bad that I and my trainer somehow missed this?! He said it was oly somthinga farrier would really know to look for and it wasnt my fault.

So does this mean my farrier missed it? I am torn between keeping her as my farrier ater this and wondering to switch over to my trainers farrier, who costs a little bit more but am tottally willing to pay the price if hes beter then my current one.

What do you think?:shock:

raywonk 11-17-2011 02:10 PM

It may not have been there when your farmer looked at him. I would not jump to move just over a missed rock. But that is just me. Talk to the old farmer and see what she says.

Wallaby 11-17-2011 02:13 PM

Over the summer my mare was getting little gravel pieces in the same area all the time just because she had some flares growing out. It certainly wasn't my trimmers fault, it was just something that happened.
I would mention this issue to your farrier when you see her next like "oh, this happened, what's your take on it?" but she certainly doesn't deserve to be fired over something that probably wasn't even there when she trimmed him last.

Also, you have to remember that this other farrier, like all trimmers/farriers, relies on his clients to make money so he can live. So, not saying that the rock wasn't there or something, he's most likely going to skew his words in a way that makes you want to be his client. He might be the best farrier ever and the nicest person ever, but any self respecting business person is going to try to get new clients whenever possible if there's an "in" that he or she can see.
Just my 2 cents.
Posted via Mobile Device

mls 11-17-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klassic Superstar (Post 1236315)
So does this mean my farrier missed it?

What do you think?:shock:

No - it does not mean your farrier missed it.

Think about it, if your horse had a rock in his hoof for that amount of time, wouldn't he be sore?

Rocks are everywhere.

Alwaysbehind 11-17-2011 02:55 PM

Another vote that you are looking to blame someone where there is no blame to be put.

Rocks get places. I have been totally floored at how wedged a rock can get into various places of a horse's hooves.

Certainly not something I would blame my farrier for.

Klassic Superstar 11-17-2011 04:06 PM

I talked to here and she had a freakout that I had another farrier work on him. I'm not mad or upset. I'm just glad he caught it. I'm not really blaming my farrier just wondering on how to go about it. I really like her, but she pretty much told me if I have someone else work on him I can just start seeing them regularly....

Thanks for ur input. I guess I worded it wrong and didn't really finish what iwas talking about as I had to get to class!

Thanks

Alwaysbehind 11-17-2011 04:08 PM

I am guessing that if you worded your conversation with her anything like you posted it here, that is why your farrier got upset.

Speed Racer 11-17-2011 04:24 PM

If I were your farrier I'd be peeved at you, too.

She didn't do anything wrong, yet you deliberately went behind her back and had another farrier look at your horse's feet, even though the horse wasn't due for a trim and wasn't having any foot/leg issues.

If I did anything like that to my farrier, I'd be lucky if he didn't fire me as a client.

Your farrier is right; if you're going to undermine her authority and have no confidence in her abilities, then you should use the barn farrier. She doesn't need or deserve a client like that.

mls 11-17-2011 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1236450)
Your farrier is right; if you're going to undermine her authority and have no confidence in her abilities, then you should use the barn farrier. She doesn't need or deserve a client like that.

Amen.

Yes - it should be a professional relationship - however - the amount of time a farrier, vet and BO put into your horse, it does get to a personal level.

Klassic Superstar 11-17-2011 05:56 PM

This is how I worded it to her:

Hi"___"
Just wanted to let you know my trainer had her farrier takea look at Oliver, I told her he wasnt due and just to take a look, this is what he found. Just wanted to let you know what was going on, maybe we can sched a sooner apt for you to come look at it and deal with it how you think is best. I felt like another paor of eyes was good. He said he knew you and you did great work, He saw nothing wrong with the way Olivers feet look and just found a rock so dug it out so it wouldnt get shoved in any deeper and it wouldnt cause any soreness for him (oliver) Call me back when you have chance"

I know all to well then to word it how I worded it on here but it had just been in the back of my head.

She had emiatly called me back all upset and I had to stop her saying I was not firing her, I thot she did a greatjob with Oliver and my horse I sold who she keeps me updated on. I just wanted to keep her in the loop of things to be polite. Once she got that she was like Oh I am so sorry for being so upset. I took pictures of his foot and sent them to her and she said it all looked good.

I just had to see what other people thoaught cause I have never been in this postion before. When i had my horse n Vashon I used the farrier I knew for years and loved him. I ddnt know any other farriers out where my new horse is and since she was the only one I had seen and been recomended I felt, well another set of eyes never hurts, I am still glad he took a look and found it cause somehow both my trainer and I where missing it and thankfully Oliver wasnt sore from it being in there or it getting dug out.

I hope people on here dont think I am dumb or rude, just I really felt weird about the whole sisitaution and wanted to get other peoples feedback, I know I didnt word it that well in the original thread post but I am getting over being very sick and havea migrane and was rushing off to class.

Thank you everyone for your input :)