The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Possible barrel/pole horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/possible-barrel-pole-horse-103758/)

MangoRoX87 11-18-2011 09:38 AM

Possible barrel/pole horse?

7 Attachment(s)
This is my 4 year old, I know I have posted this before, but I had crappy pictures then:P These miiight be a little better(:

Her dam is out of racing TBs, such as Native Dancer (grand sire), and by western pleasure/cutting.
Her sire is solid cutting/reining bred.

She is about 15 hands, went to a sorting trainer for about 3 months (just to get her finished off as a drill horse). She is super light in the face and stops on a dime. She gives to leg pressure extremely well.

BarrelRacer23 11-18-2011 02:34 PM

I like her . I think she'll do fine, she looks well balanced.
Posted via Mobile Device

bubba13 11-18-2011 02:38 PM

Fairly well-built, but not my choice for a barrel/pole horse due to long back and overall fineness.

MangoRoX87 11-18-2011 03:48 PM

I figured somebody would say something about her yucky long neck:) thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 11-18-2011 03:57 PM

Any horse can do barrels and poles. If she's fast enough and has the heart, she'll do great. I don't find fineness an issue. In my experience, my "finely built" arabs and TB's have stayed sound longer than the big barrel bred QH's. Would I take her over a dash for cash, frenchman's guy filly? No probably not :D But I see no reason why she can't do it provided you train her up right and keep her sound.

Saddlebag 11-18-2011 08:32 PM

Couldn't help but notice the saddle scars.

MangoRoX87 11-18-2011 10:21 PM

^yeah I know:( She never showed any signs of pain or soreness, and my saddle appeared like it fit perfectly, but apparently it didn't.
Posted via Mobile Device

ilovemyquarter 11-19-2011 09:26 PM

A.d.o.r.a.b.l.e. shes gorgeous!! She'll do great!

beau159 11-19-2011 09:43 PM

If I was looking for a top-of-the-line barrel prospect, I wouldn't pick her (based on conformation or on breeding). Too long in the back, not rounded enough in the hindquarters, hocks too high off the ground, steeper angle in the shoulder than the hindquarters, and her neck ties in funny (can't quite put my finger on it). Now, that's being really nit-picky. She's a nice looking horse overall. And while some cutting/reining blood is nice for smarts and quickness in a barrel horse, I still like to have some speed and running lines.

Any horse can be a barrel or pole horse if they enjoy it. They may not be 1D quality or make 19-sec poles, but they can still do it at a lower level. You never know until you try.