The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Confo Critique Request (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/confo-critique-request-103765/)

Allison C 11-18-2011 11:07 AM

Confo Critique Request

5 Attachment(s)
2, coming 3 (april-ish) quarter horse colt. His full brother is GORGEOUS and I think he looks pretty good too but would like your opinion.
Please note that his feet need to be trimmed VERY badly and the pic from the front didn't exactly get taken straight on so his right front leg looks to be toed out.

I know you guys generally do not like to critique growing horses, but please let me know if you see anything glaringly wrong here. Any and all opinions and observations are appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Cowgirls Boots 11-18-2011 11:17 AM

I just wana say he's SUPER adorable and he is butt high but all growing horses go through wonky stages. I don't see anything else besides his feet need to be trimmed like you already stated. Really nice baby though! What ate your plans for him?

Allison C 11-18-2011 11:39 AM

Most of his "family" has been bred for western pleasure. I'd like to work on the basics and then start to see what he enjoys. Western pleasure, reining, sorting, gaming; we'll see. No super specific plans to make sure I'm not shoving a square peg in a round hole.

lilruffian 11-18-2011 12:12 PM

First thing i notice is that his withers are too far back, which makes his neck appear overly long. He's also sickle-hocked and slightly cowed in his back feet.
On the plus-side, he has nice hindquarters and front legs and a deep chest.

equiniphile 11-18-2011 12:56 PM

To add to what has already been said, he has a coarse head, which is mostly an aesthetic thing.

tinyliny 11-18-2011 02:07 PM

I don't think his head is coarse, he's just "furry" for winter. He does seem a wee bit camped under with the rear feet, but can be the way he was stood up. back and hip look good, good shoulder. His front left leg looks a tiny bit crooked. I know you mentioned the need for farrier work, but I am looking at how the canon bone aligns with the long bone above.
I think he's really cute and looks generally capable of a lot.

Allison C 11-18-2011 06:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I apologize for his square-ness in the pics. When I was trying to pick one to put confo dots on, they are all very different - he was a little anxious and being a young horse didn't want to stand still or square :-) In the conformation instructions it says that it is common for a young horse's legs to be a little camped under...

I'm going to try and look at his front legs again this weekend to verify the crookedness.

His head is definately fluffy but I see where he does have kind of a block head :-P He is growing very slowly though so it might catch up with his at some point. Hoping he grows up to look like his brother!! At least he has an amazing personality to make up for it is he doesn't.

The things that you guys have stated/noticed - would any of these be enough for you to pass on him as a purchase? Is his back too short? What about cannon and pastern length? Too hard to tell as a growing young'un?

Thank you for your comments!! Very much appreciated.

Allison C 11-18-2011 07:07 PM

I used a ruler on the screen since I can't download one on the work computer.

Body Length - 15cm
Scapula - 6.25cm - 41.6%
Humorous - 4.25cm - 68%
Forearm - 3.5 cm
Cannon - 2 cm - 57%
Pastern - 1.25cm - 62%
Hip/illium - 4.75cm - 31.6%
femur - 5cm
Pelvis - 4.5cm
backlength - 2.75 cm - 18%
neck - 7cm - 46%