The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Need help - "possible" gaited horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/need-help-possible-gaited-horse-103783/)

Elinejk 11-18-2011 04:01 PM

Need help - "possible" gaited horse?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi!

This is my new horse Madeline. She is a 6 year old Appaloosa cross. Her conformation is a bit "different" from what I'm used to (super high wither, leaner in the butt, etc.), and a vet once said she may be crossed with a Tennessee Walking Horse (Walkaloosa?). She is amazing on the trail and I finally moved her to a ranch with a gorgeous arena. It's a roping ranch and the owner rides all big, brawny quarter horses. He was complimenting Maddie on her long graceful and fast walk - very long strides. I asked her to ride so I could see. While I wouldn't say it was a "gait" that I have seen on Youtube videos, it is definitely beautiful and graceful, fast and long strided. He seems to think that she must have gaited horse in her somewhere. Is this how a Walker would walk naturally?

Attachment 79505

equiniphile 11-18-2011 04:06 PM

There's really no way to tell from that picture if your mare is gaited or not. Can you get a video of her walking and "trotting"? In many horses, it is only apparent at the trot equivelant.

Elinejk 11-18-2011 04:16 PM

I can try to get a video as soon as the weather clears. She trots like a normal trot, only much farther reaching. It's her walk that is really fast (she leaves all the other horses in the dust on the trail).

equiniphile 11-18-2011 04:38 PM

Thanks, a video will really help. Many trotting horses will walk fast, like my Thoroughbred mare. She leaves even my gaited gelding in the dust when we're walking on trail:

walkinthewalk 11-18-2011 06:06 PM

There is hope to find an intermediate gait in her that isn't a trot.

Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce Indian tribe had a gaited Leopard App. The gait has always been referred to as the Indian Shuffle.

The Indian Shuffler

If she is a cross between an Appy and a TWH, someone that knows how to gently train gaited horses should be able to bring it out in her. Six years old is now old enough for her to have her hooves underneath herself.

TWH's are, by and large, a gangly mess with their legs until they're around five. I used to marvel at the different gaits all four legs of my young TWH would get into at liberty and he never fell down - lol

I'm hopin' she gaits for you and she is very very pretty :)

Edited To Add: She has a "smart eye". I hope she is a forever horse for you:)

Elinejk 11-18-2011 07:24 PM

I've seen a video of the Indian Shuffle, she isn't doing that. I'm going to be able to video her tomorrow I think (it was raining today). And thank you walkinthwalk, yes, she is very smart and kind. I just adore her and she is for sure my forever horse! She's had 5 owners in her short 6 years, all men (not that there is anything wrong with that!!) But she is def a woman's horse, she loves attention and pampering. She's very special. The ranch owner called her a "gazelle". He said "Man, I could sit this walk for 5 hours on the trail easily!". So whatever she is, it's awesome!

Elinejk 11-19-2011 05:54 PM

gaited or not?

Ok, here is the video. It's not very good and it isn't really until the 37 second mark that she picks it up.

PerchiesKisses 11-19-2011 06:03 PM

I won't lie... I can't tell the difference between gaited and not. ... But I just wanted to say she is one BEAUTIFUL horse! I love her pattern

Elinejk 11-19-2011 06:06 PM

Thank you! What is a pattern? lol (I've been out of the horse world for 10 years and there are so many words I don't know!!)

raywonk 11-19-2011 06:19 PM

She is moving diagonally so she is not getting.
right front back left move together. Gaited move right front back right.
No she could still gait. Their are lots of horses that can trot and gait or pace as some people call it. Try holding her in a collection and driving her forward. Like if you were asking her to give you a big extended trot.